• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are some useful games for kids?

My school doesn't teach kids right now, is considering it for in the future, so the instructors and I were discussing some curriculum stuff. I've seen lots of comments on "games" for children here, on the forums, and I would just like to hear what some of these games are, the benefits and things to watch out for with each.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flying Knife Edges (They may have a different name in your system) - Kids do flying knife edges over a stick held by an instructor. Begin at a low height, then gradually increase. Teaches them to do flying kicks, to jump, and it's just fun.

Ninja Ball - Two teams, seperated by a stick in the middle, and a stick at the very back of the team. They throw nerf balls at one another like dodgeball, only they can't catch them, and if they cross any of the sticks, they're out. You have to have people fielding the balls, too. Teaches reflexes, and mostly just fun.

Step and Chop races - Um...you could probably do this for anything, but we use advancing with an inward swordhand, practice a few times up and down the mat, and then whoever is last has to sit down. Teaches speed and proper distancing.

Bumpers - Two kids hold one foot in front of them and push one another down. Teaches balance.

Obstacle course - Great for teaching all sorts of skills.

Sumo Wrestling - Make a ring out of discarded belts, have two kids stand in the ring and try to push/throw one another out. Teaches balance and grappling.

Those are the games we do, but not all in the same class.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

"Sensei Says" - This would be Simon Says using basics, forms, or sparring techniques as the movements. When kids do the moves without the Sensei Says term being said, they have to sit down. The last child standing wins.

Use Fun Noodles (those foam tube pool toys) as blocking and striking bats. Also, the kids can jump over them when they are swung at their feet.

Imitation of animals - Make the kids walk and move like certain animals: dogs, cats, monkeys, etc.

Take an old belt and cut it into 12 inch lengths. Tuck the pieces into the backs of their belts/pants and make them "spar" to grab their opponent's belt piece. This is sort of like flag football.

Green, Yellow, and Red Ninja: Make the kids do a set or form and yell out "Green Ninja" for them to go super fast, "Yellow Ninja" to go super slow, and "Red Ninja" to freeze in place.

Also, Century sells several videos that show kids games and drills. You may want to look those up.

AoG

Stuck in the mud - Just like they would play at school but if they get caught they have to stand in a nice low stance so that someone can slide between their legs to free them.

Poison ball - we have everyone on our matted area and people roll the ball from the outside (it must hit on or below the knees), if you get out you move off of the mat and become one of the people who rolls the ball.

Punch and Kick chasing - (not like the one they'd play at school) A sempai will chase the kids with a kick bag and if they catch someone they have to give the bag a quick one-two and then run off.

I think this is a great thread, Kids are such an important part of Karate (any martial art really), finding new ways to get them excited about coming to training is fantastic.

Only by contrast can we see

Oh, yeah.

Sifu Says - Just like ArmorOfGod said.

Duck and Jump - Make kids duck or jump under one of those four foot dowels from Home Depot.

Ed Parker

Wow! Thanks for all the good ideas!

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Green, Yellow, and Red Ninja: Make the kids do a set or form and yell out "Green Ninja" for them to go super fast, "Yellow Ninja" to go super slow, and "Red Ninja" to freeze in place.

I really like that one. Hope you don't mind if I steal it... :D

With due credit, of course...

Ed Parker

Two (or more) ball dodge ball... teaches awareness. It's the funniest thing to see a kid concentrating so hard on one ball and get hit from behind.

Another good thing is relay races (teaches teamwork, but can be used to strengthen their bodies)

Can't think of any other ones right now.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

We do relay races as well, but the kids crawl, military style, across the padded floor. It's quite amusing and they love it. We also use an obstacle course that includes kicking pads, jumping over shinai swords, walking on a balance beam, and jumping over a circular landing pad. We do Sensei Says and we also do kicks and punches where each child gets to call the count in whatever language they choose. We have a very diverse class so we get many different counting styles.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu