• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How effective is a scorpion kick?

Tell you the truth, I would not know. Personally, I would not think it would be, but I never felt or experinced it. I to would rather use the knee when in that close, but if it works....use it! (if you can....lol) :)

"Train HARD to be HARD"

According to Chloe Bruce on her website, she "invented" the kick.

It would not surprise me, she is awesome. I googled: "scorpion kick history" and the search engine turned out all types of websites, but I don't recall hers coming up :-?

Cynthia Rothrock used a similar kick in her movies back in the late 1980's and early 90's. The big difference is that Rothrock would bend over farther before the kick. Chloe Bruce does not bend over at all when she does the kick.

I too remember Ms. Rothrock's kick that she did in her movies. Their two kicks do seem to be very similar to each other's. No offense to any of Rothrock's fan, because I'm a huge one, but I do like Ms. Bruce's better :karate:

"Train HARD to be HARD"

According to chloe bruce on her website, she " invented" the kick.

Dude that is complete Bull crap. The scorpion kick has been around since the shaolin temple was created. It is seen in many Northern Shaolin and wushu forms. A classic wushu form that has this kick is " looking at the moon". It is used majorily when holding a weapon usually a spear or broadsword.

Concerning how to do the kick you need to practice doing the following.

Believe it or not they teach this in dance classes.

IF DOING A SCORPION WITH YOUR RIGHT FOOT

1. Bend you leg like doing a hamstring stretch. holding the foot on the upper part.

2.arch your back and grab the same foot with the other hand.

* Your hand has to arch over your head to grab the foot.

3. Bend your back some more stretch the foot upwards.

and you have the scorpion kick.

Now when you have it you have to practice without using hands.

this is done the same as with hands ( same arching and stuff) but kicking the leg up as close to your shoulders as possible.

ITS REALLY HARD BE CAREFUL GUYS!!

Also the shaolin do have a scorpion style and it involves scorpion kicks done on the floor. MINDBLOWING BELIEVE ME.

Also the scorpion kick isn't really affective in a real life situation unless you REALLY know how to use it.

" To see things in the seed, THAT is genius" - Lao tzu

According to chloe bruce on her website, she " invented" the kick.

Dude that is complete Bull crap.

I didn't say it, SHE did.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Oh Sorry bout that Sohan. Thought you did mean it. well SHE does pack a really nast scorpion though. I have a girl at my school that does one not as good but really close.

" To see things in the seed, THAT is genius" - Lao tzu

No worries. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Anyone know what kind of martial arts style, that the scorpion kick is taught in? I'm really interested to study the style that the scorpion kick comes from.

'Yaw-Yan ' a Filipino martial art uses different scorpion kicks.They have wide array of kicks in their curriculum and they fight full contact.Yaw-Yan's are known for their ability to kick from difficult angles with extreme power.Check out these websites

https://www.yawyan.com

https://www.yawyanpasay.blogspot.com

http://geocities.com/partyzoo88/Zapata.html

Yaw-Yan scorpion kick

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/yawyanphilippinemartialart

Yss

• 2 years later...

I just would like to set the record straight. The scorpion kick is not in any particular martial art. It was made up and the term was first coined by Cynthia Rothrock whose version does not look anything like Chloe Bruce's. Later Cynthia referred to the kick as the Rothrock Sting.

~Jfearless