• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with Sparring

Hello,

I am a green belt in Tae Kwon Do, and I've been studying about 2 and a half years. Recently I've started going to tournaments, and I need some advice on some good sparring combos. I usually just do backfist to the head or roundkick for points. I can't do really advanced/fancy stuff (i'm only 14 lol) sooo...

These are the kicks I know:

Front

Roundhouse (hop and stepover)

Side (hop and step over)

Wheel

Back

Flying Front

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

are you familiar with any faking techniques?

for instance, use your front/forward arm and move as if you are going to do a backfist to the groin, fake just enough so that they drop their guard to block their groin then quickly change the momentum of your attack and backfist to their now open head.

if you favor kicks try a fake front snap to the groin as above then change it to a roundhouse kick to the upper chest or head area.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Hello,

. I usually just do backfist to the head or roundkick for points. I can't do really advanced/fancy stuff (i'm only 14 lol) sooo...

These are the kicks I know:

Front

Roundhouse (hop and stepover)

Side (hop and step over)

Wheel

Back

Flying Front

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

Why just do a backfist and roundkick when you know other kicks?

Take what you just listed and pick 3 randomly (you can use repeats).

For example:

front, roundhouse, side

or

side, wheel, side (slternate each time)

or

backfist, wheel, side (alternate or don't alternate kick-your choice)

or

backfist, side, round

Write down every move you know on pieces of paper, put them in a hat, and pick out three. Line the three moves up and you have a new technique!

Try that and keep the techniques you like.

Also, if you like a particular move, put it onto two or three sheets of paper before you mix them up.

AoG

Yeah, I'm familar with faking. Sometimes I'll fake punches or kicks.

The problem with wheel kicks is that by the time I get ready to do one and actually do it, I'm already having to block something by my opponent. If you know what I mean... I guess they just take too long?

And I think front kicks are too easy to block so I don't really use them since they never really work point-wise. Same thing with side. So I'm kinda stuck. Maybe I'm not doing them right...?

I can't do really advanced/fancy stuff (i'm only 14 lol)

Which means you're probably in good shape, and should be able to do all sorts of fun things - provided you've learned them.

I like the idea of the three move combos. That's a good idea.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Do you use any spinning kicks to counter? A spin side kick or a spinning heel kick are good counters if you see a lot of back leg round kicks from an open stance position.

When you try to combo, you can't hestitate. Throw your side kick (or whatever), and then go directly into the next kick. Don't stop to consider. I like to throw a high round kick and then suck it back in to sidekick to the waist before setting it down.

I like to throw a high round kick and then suck it back in to sidekick to the waist before setting it down.

I like that idea, i'll try that next time we fight.

Which means you're probably in good shape, and should be able to do all sorts of fun things - provided you've learned them.

Haha. I guess I am in better shape than most adults, but that doesn't mean that I am better in TKD. I haven't learned that much yet.

I adapt my techniques to whom ever I'm competeing against. First look for holes in there defenses and use whatever you can to get thru those defenses, look for poor guarding postitions, gaps in arms, not blocking techniques or over blocking. Like what was said above in another post, the fake can be a great tool in a attack. If you are secure in your kicking techniques use them to your advantage in keeping you adversary at a distance. You sound as if you are unsure of your spining kicks, (practice, practice) and build your speed and focus , one of my favorite techniques is the fake. I have scored many points with a simple fake like using a front kick off of my weak leg when my intended focus and target is in using a jump technique from the opposite leg, when they try to block the fake its to late the other is already up and coming at them.

remember one thing "Train Hard"

"The patient fighter does'nt just charge his opponent, attacking at random and exposing himself to a counter. Rather, he waits until his opponite makes a mistake and engages when victory can be ensured" Jhoon Rhee