• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey all. A little help needed

I agree ninjanurse. If a senior black belt student is conducting classes while the head instructor is away, they should set the example and lead classes just as the head instructor. If that individual abuses their position, it would not be out of line for another black belt student to step in (privately) and hopefully set him/her straight. More than likely they have trained together for a long time and can speak as friends one on one. A dojo is a place where everyone should be able to go and train and not be treated as children. Respect should be mutual from white belt and up through the ranks. Any disciplinary actions should only be conducted by the head instructor and/or with his or her permission. A dojo is not a place for powerhungry individuals.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I am wondering is why that assistant instructor thought it was okay to yell at anyone in the first place? I never have meet anyone that learned from negitive feed back. Even in the military they use positive reenforcement on a mistake made. Except in basic of course, but that is the purpose of basic is to weed out those that can't hack it. Not that I don't think discipline is needed, but there needs to be tact involved. I agree 100% with jaymac about any action needed is to be done by the head instructor. :karate:

"Train HARD to be HARD"

Maybe the assistant instructor was having a really bad day or maybe she didn't want the position she was given. Still no reason to treat paying customers (and that is what students are) poorly. I bet if she was the head instructor and it was her business, she would care a little more on how her students were being treated. Had I been the Head instructor, I would be sure to not give that instructor a second chance to be in charge.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

As a teacher myself, you just can not allow your personal life into the studio. I know that is hard to do, but it is the way it is. If it was their first offense: than complete removal of teaching duties may be harsh. As I have already said: at our school an outburst like that is a 2 week suspension.

"Train HARD to be HARD"

Someone told on her hehehehehe. It wasn't me. Honest (I think it was the 2nd dan lady .... she wasn't happy either). But she WILL get a talking to (I hope). I'll find out tonight when my other half gets home from black belt class.

Smurf and jay, you're are right. I think she is having personal problems (or she had major PMS or something), but it has no place in the dojang. Specially when you flip out on people like that.

When I first met her, she had an ego problem to begin with. She didn't have a clue I came from another martial art. So she was treating me like "fresh meat" basically (how she treated some white belts, which I thought was rude). So she was holding a target at waist level and said do a turning kick. I said ok. Raise it will ya. I kicked it out of her hand (her head level). She looked at me suprised. I walked away.

She did change (so I thought). We began talking and stuff. Then she pulled this stuff (more ego trips).

I was thinking about this whole ego, political stuff today. You know what? .... Wait no curse words (I almost typed it ... oops)... Ok, I know I am capable of good technique also. I don't need to listen to the political stuff (or get upset about it). I came to this dojang with my man. We have fun training together, so that's what I will do. Just train. I'll let my technique speak for me and egnore the rest.

Laurie F

When I first met her, she had an ego problem to begin with. She didn't have a clue I came from another martial art. So she was treating me like "fresh meat" basically (how she treated some white belts, which I thought was rude). So she was holding a target at waist level and said do a turning kick. I said ok. Raise it will ya. I kicked it out of her hand (her head level). She looked at me suprised. I walked away.

Good for you. And shame on her for her assumptions.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I think that is the best step for you to take. If you and your man are happy training together, than forget the rest and stay happy training with him.

On a bad side of curiosity :brow: : Up date us on any actions taken if you know of any. Not that I'm hoping for anything bad, but someone needs to reign her in before she scares off to many new students. :karate:

"Train HARD to be HARD"

I agree that we as Black Belts need to step up to the plate and talk with our peers about these things-especially when it is affecting new students. Grumbling behind their backs is not effective and only leads to more discontent. However, those that set the example will be taken more seriously than those that don't.

8)

Absolutely. Setting the example is the key to credibility and leadership. Good point.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Hey all. Update on that instructor. She did get a talking to. She tried to blame it on my boyfriend saying he was in the wrong, but others defended him (that were there). So I don't know what will happen now.

Anyways, update on me also. I am leaving this school. Not the system, just the school. I am going to a sister school run by Ninjanurse. She will be my new instructor. It will be much cheaper there, no politics, and I will be taught by a really good instructor. I had a long talk with her last night, and I have decided that this is the right thing to do. I will still have to go to this school to test, but other than that, it will be totally her school (training-wise).

Laurie F