• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey all. A little help needed

You can try talking to your instructor. Honesty is always the best policy. As far as cost goes, I don't think cheaper is always better. Your personal happiness is more than money.

"Train HARD to be HARD"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a good point. Specially in this area. I did go to a cheaper school here for a year, but it was ... ummm, well not so good. I did get to learn some Judo out of it, though. So it wasn't totally bad.

I wanted to post about class last night. This is one reason I was frustrated with the school. I guess I let it get to me again.

Anyways, as I posted before, my two main instructors are in Korea. So they are relying on the BB's to teach. The 2nd dan is a pretty good teacher. She is in her 60's and her body doesn't let her do what she wants to, but she as great knowledge. I loved her class the other night. She's a people person.

But two other BB's kinda let it go to their heads. Ok, disipline is one thing. But treating the adult class like they are two year olds is not cool. The one (a 1st dan) bit my boyfriends (also 1st dan) head off twice (rudely, I might add, in front of the class). He was trying to do what he was told by the main instructor for the week. She yelled at him for doing something she didn't think was right. But he was told to. He mumbled ... um I won't say, but he was mad, and she knew it because she realized she was rude, and said sorry.

But it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Even if he was in the wrong, she should have waited till after class, and spoke to him privately.

The other BB is just got this huge ego. He is an instructor, but he teaches the juniors. He's not used to the adults. He was teaching us like we were 11 yo's.

Ok, I vented. I'll shut up now ... boy I can't wait till the REAL instructors come back .....

Laurie F

Definitely some bad politics going on in that dojo. Who is in charge while the head instructor is away? Boy, I wouldn't even want to think about the craziness that would happen in our school had that same situation occurred. My instructor would be livid had one of his assistant instructors talked to any of his students that way. He also would have appointed one senior black belt in his absence to deal with any type of situation like this. You should go to this person and definitely speak with the head instructor upon his arrival.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I don't know what is going on there, but that is maddness. You would think that those left in charge would know they are only subsitutes and not the new head teachers. As far as ever yelling at someone, that would be a 2 week suspension at my school. No matter your rank. You always treat each other with respect and if there is a problem, than you are 100% right. It needs to be done in private :kaioken: Hopefully your head instructors can set everything right when they come back.

"Train HARD to be HARD"

I totally agree, smurf. I know our instructor will hear about it. I'm not the only one that heard her yelling. She wouldn't act like that if the head instructor was around. I don't know why she did that.

Laurie F

Although of course we should always have respect for each other in and out of the dojo, I feel instructors have an even greater responsibility to treat the students with respect. It doesn't mean they can't be hard on them by expecting a lot out of them, but that their power comes with more profound responsibility.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

There is a lot of ego running around at that school-I have seen it myself. Nothing we can do about it but set the best example of humility and respect we can in hopes that they start to get it. Students/instructors who show another side of themselves when the "cat is away" show their true colors and need some more time climbing Maslow's mountain.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

There is a lot of ego running around at that school-I have seen it myself. Nothing we can do about it but set the best example of humility and respect we can in hopes that they start to get it.

Or have an respectful conversation with them, or more extreme, the head instructor before these ego-maniacs turn off some more of his students. If they treat the advanced "bread and butter" students like this how are they treating the newbs? No one deserves humiliation. The other black belts should not stand by watching this happen at their school waiting for anyone to get it. It's people like this that really hurt the school. If they are normal, they probably don't realize that they are doing it, so a frank and polite discussion could solve it and make everyone happier. :wink:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I can see where ninjanurse's point of view can help, but I agree more with Red J. Yes, we need to lead by example and let a lot of outburst go, but by the time you are entrusted to be a leader and teach in place of the sensei, than we need to be as the sensei. I think a firm, but polite, talk is needed about her action.

Keep us up to date karatekid :karate:

"Train HARD to be HARD"

I agree that we as Black Belts need to step up to the plate and talk with our peers about these things-especially when it is affecting new students. Grumbling behind their backs is not effective and only leads to more discontent. However, those that set the example will be taken more seriously than those that don't.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/