• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey all. A little help needed

I would talk to your instructor, but before you do, look around at the other schools in the area and pick one. That way, if he refuses to compromise, you already have a back-up school to head off to.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have a look round about at other schools. From the posts I've read from you on here, I get the impression that you feel your school has quite a lot of faults, so it can't hurt to look around and visit a few other places and see if you stumble across the perfect dojo.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Remember you train martial arts for yourself not for anybody else, it's a gift to yourself & let nobody get in the way of that.

I read this thread again, and I didn't notice this part before. I thought long and hard about that. You know, you are totally right. I know a good friend of mine would have said the same thing. She has been trying to "sink" that into my thick head for a long time. I think it's about time I actually let it "sink" in. I think maybe I'm just making something out of nothing with the whole dojang thing.

Laurie F

Talk to your instructor. It can be the difference maker here. I like what was said earlier, if you use it , you clean it. Dojo clean ups happen regularly at our school. It is not for rank, it is just to help keep our training area clean. We love our dojo so much, that we often ask what we can do in our spare time to assist the head instructor with maintanence. Think about what is going on at your dojo. Is it really the cleaning thing, or is it the social politics and the fact that you are getting bored. It is ok to get bored. Just talk with your instructor. I know I said earlier you should look for another school, but it is important to talk to him first. You may still find that you would rather train elsewhere, but be sure you are leaving for the right reasons.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

On the topic of cleaning: We love the dojo enough to ask what else needs done. In fact, yesterday, we had a big "Spring Cleaning" for the dojo. Almost the entire adult class showed up, and it's our responsibility to clean it. I actually enjoy it. Then again, maybe I just like being at the dojo.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I did speak to the manager of the dojang (My instructor is in Korea). He's a really nice guy. I told him about how I felt about the cleaning thing, I told him that I WAS working two jobs (dumped the part time job), how frustrated I got with the whole situation, ect. He heard me out. He said just come for the cleaning part, not the comps. I agreed.

As far as the politics go, I think I'll just let it fly. I won't pay any attention to it. I'll just go and train, and ignore the rest.

I went back to class this week. And with the above in mind, I had a great time.

Thanks again everyone :)

Laurie F

As far as the politics go, I think I'll just let it fly. I won't pay any attention to it. I'll just go and train, and ignore the rest.

I went back to class this week. And with the above in mind, I had a great time.

There ya go. :D Good luck!

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.