• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey all. A little help needed

Hiya all.

I need a little advice on my situation. Well, in the fall, I was all fired up for my 1st gup test (which I passed). Then I had surgery. I trained a little off and on till I healed. Then I was ready to come back full force, and I hurt my knee. I took time off without training. Problem is, I haven't gone back to training (it's been two months), and my knee is healed. I lost the desire to train.

Plus I'm having issues with my dojang. The training is good, but other stuff is taking its toll on me. I had another thread on that somewhere on here. I'll look for it and post it later.

It's like the passion for MA disappeared. I started to snowboard and I love it. I'm adicted. That same passion is what I had for MA, but it's just not there anymore.

Advice anyone?

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is it that's bringing you down? Is it just a lull in training, interpersonal stuff? Find that other thread for us so we can get a little more insight and maybe help out.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

I have been feeling some burnout as well. You could cut back on the number of classes that you attend in a week. Another good idea would be to get together with some of your classmates on your own time, and work on something fun that you want to do. Maybe some free sparring or some counter drills. Just try to mix it up to stimulate your interest.

I would cut way back on training- If you force yourself, you will just resent your time there and that isn't good for anything.

If you cut back to like 1 day a week, to keep up with all that is going on, but not force yourself, this lull will probably pass. We all have times that we fall out of the MA momentum and get into other stuff, but if you just stick with it at a slow pace, things will probably start to be less of a hassel for you with them. Just my $.02, though.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

It's like the passion for MA disappeared. I started to snowboard and I love it. I'm adicted. That same passion is what I had for MA, but it's just not there anymore.

Advice anyone?

Yes, snowboard for now. You will know when the time is right to return to MA (I was out for 15 years).

Or the Yoda version:

Snowboard now you must, for return to MA you will. Melt, the snow will.

Oh, on the dojang deal. If you do go back, explain to the instructor that you are an adult with a life and not someone who is going to play games to clean the dojang.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Hiya all.

I need a little advice on my situation. Well, in the fall, I was all fired up for my 1st gup test (which I passed). Then I had surgery. I trained a little off and on till I healed. Then I was ready to come back full force, and I hurt my knee. I took time off without training. Problem is, I haven't gone back to training (it's been two months), and my knee is healed. I lost the desire to train.

Plus I'm having issues with my dojang. The training is good, but other stuff is taking its toll on me. I had another thread on that somewhere on here. I'll look for it and post it later.

It's like the passion for MA disappeared. I started to snowboard and I love it. I'm adicted. That same passion is what I had for MA, but it's just not there anymore. Advice anyone?

Instead of letting your hard earned martial art skills wither away to uselessness, just devote 5 minutes a day to training. Eventually you'll catch the bug again & 5 min won't be enough.

Find another school if the problems there are effecting your motivation to train. Remember you train martial arts for yourself not for anybody else, it's a gift to yourself & let nobody get in the way of that. Keep snowboarding as well.

Laurie,

Having two or more hobbies is hard. I have my Kenpo training, which I love doing, and the hobby of metal detecting, which I also love. I end up doing Kenpo a few times a week and metal detecting on the weekend. I feel guilty(weird I know) if I don't get to devote much time to either hobby. But, then again Kenpo and metal detecting don't pay the bills.

HKF

Welcome to McDojo's! One supersize blackbelt coming right up sir!

At Mcdojo's, your ability to succeed is only limited by the size of your wallet, and we back that up in writing!

Everyone, thanks so much for the advice. As far as snowboarding, the season is over. But I do still look at the snowboarding forums and vids online.

Oh, on the dojang deal. If you do go back, explain to the instructor that you are an adult with a life and not someone who is going to play games to clean the dojang.

I totally agree. Specially if I don't do the cleaning thing, it WILL cost me my BB (I won't get it). That's total crap. Technique should count, not the cleaning requirement.

HongKongFooey, I have eye-balled another school. But I feel like "whatever." If I switch schools, will the passion really come back? The school I looked at is much cheaper, but I didn't watch any classes yet, so I donno. Is it really worth it? This school isn't bad training-wise, it's the extra crap that technique takes a back seat to. Or, at least, that's what it feels like. I have good technique, but I know if I don't do this extra stuff, I won't get my BB. I think it's pointless. Plus if I leave, I will have to buy-out the contract. I feel "stuck." .... again (I left this school once before, but came back).

Laurie F

Everyone, thanks so much for the advice. As far as snowboarding, the season is over. But I do still look at the snowboarding forums and vids online.

I totally agree. Specially if I don't do the cleaning thing, it WILL cost me my BB (I won't get it). That's total crap. Technique should count, not the cleaning requirement.

HongKongFooey, I have eye-balled another school. But I feel like "whatever." If I switch schools, will the passion really come back? The school I looked at is much cheaper, but I didn't watch any classes yet, so I donno. Is it really worth it? This school isn't bad training-wise, it's the extra crap that technique takes a back seat to. Or, at least, that's what it feels like. I have good technique, but I know if I don't do this extra stuff, I won't get my BB. I think it's pointless. Plus if I leave, I will have to buy-out the contract. I feel "stuck." .... again (I left this school once before, but came back).

Could it be that you are bored with the style that you now practice? Maybe a change of pace is in order. I think it is wrong for your instructor to force his students to clean in order to be able to test for Blackbelt. You are paying him to teach you Tae Kwon Do, not paying him for the priviledge to clean his dojang. How about the Jujitsu? Do you still practice that? Of the two which piques your interest more? I think your passion for martial arts is still there, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking us what to do? Hang in there, Laurie.

Welcome to McDojo's! One supersize blackbelt coming right up sir!

At Mcdojo's, your ability to succeed is only limited by the size of your wallet, and we back that up in writing!