• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA shoes

rob50

What's the benefit of MA shoes of just tennis shoes that you only wear in the dojo so that you don't track in dirt?

They are designed for mat use. Nice and light, good grip, but not so good you can't pivot without blowing your knee out. Soft bottoms so that you don't tear your partner to shreds.

I wear wrestling shoes, tried the TKD ones a few years back, didn't like them as much. I wear them to protect my feet. Got tired of broken toes and such. Also keeps athletes foot and plantar warts away :)

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of the TKD shoes. I have them for when I am training by myself on a rough surface (i.e. a concrete floor), when I am teaching in the church basement (also a bad surface) or for tournaments so I don't have to walk around the gym/arena barefoot when my events aren't on. They're the best footwear for the job, but IMHO there's no substitute for bare feet when it comes to karate practice. Actually, I've never trained at a dojo that allowed anything but bare feet. I've never even seen traditional karate practiced shod, and the TKD I've seen is barefoot 95% of the time too.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

I have one girl in my dojo that wears martial art shoes, but my instructor doesnt mind which we chose, but most people are in bare feet

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

• 4 weeks later...
I ended up getting these and really like them: http://www.karatedepot.com/cl-sh-09.html

Them look really nice, Baron. I may have to look into them.

• 1 month later...

Well i prefer bare feet but when im on my feet judging all day at tournaments i need alittle support so i tend to wear cotton-soled kung fu shoes. but make sure you dont get the rubber ones you will have a bad back for days!

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do