• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How old is too old?

CheekyMusician

I've recently started training at my Uni karate club. I've been training with a very sport orientated karate club on and off for 4 years, and while I was training there exclusively I kept wanting to train at a more traditional club and work on kata and basics more, but know I also train at my Uni club which is exactly the traditional club I'm looking at, I'm beginning to look into the sport side of things!

There is a sparring competition coming up that I'm interested in participating in, but I've never even watched a karate competition before, so it would well and truly be a first! However, although I've been training for 4 years, I've never really bothered with belt tests and so I only recently sat my 9th Kyu, and I've only been training at my Uni club about 6 months or so. Its the Uni club that's looking for entrants for the competition, but the Sensei there doesn't even allow junior belts to free spar in his class, so I'm not sure if he'd even be happy to let me fight in it or not.

I've got sparring experience 'cause of my 4 years with the other club which I still also attend, and although I can hold my own sparring people within that club, I've never sparred with anyone outside it and don't know if I'd be able to measure up.

The competition section I'd be competing in would include 9th Kyus-4th Kyus. I wouldn't expect to win, but I'd like to take part so that I could get a feel for it and then maybe participate again in it next year and be in with a chance of doing well, then. However, I don't want to totally embarrass myself.

I've been putting some serious thought into it, and have decided that maybe I should wait and go see some competitions and maybe start competiing in them next year, but I also feel that if I put it off much longer I'll be getting too old to really participate in the kumite competition circuit as I'm already almost 21, which I know isn't ancient, but by that age, I'm assuming most people are at their peak in the competition circuit, not just starting out.

Anyway, I know this was really long, and so I apologise and thank anyone who's still reading, but what's your opinion? How old is too old to be starting out on the competition circuit?

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Go to it, dont limit yourself with age mental barriers, this condradicts your training...If you train properly and hard and with a proper mindset, you are the only one who can only stop yourself.

Its great training anyway. Good luck.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Are you kidding me?? Too old?? Trust me, you are young and will be for quite awhile. Do not let age begin to limit you already. When you are 40, you will be looking back and saying, why did I think I was too old at 21? Go, compete. Even if you cannot enter because of your rank with the Univ. club, enter under your other school. Also, I think it is honorable that you do not really care about rank. But as you can see, tournaments take rank very seriously. If you begin to compete, you are going to want to be ranked in your respective styles.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Thanks for the opinions! :D

I'm seriously considering it now. I've got in club with the guy from my club who is taking names for the competition to ask him for more information, so I might compete if all goes to plan.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Too old??? Nah sorry, don't know that term.... :P

Seriously, just do it. Don't let age hold you back! Sure you may not pick it up as quickly as the younger ones, or be able to move as quickly, but it doesn't mean you can't do it!!

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Never to old!!!! Heck I have been out of competition for 20 years and just now getting back into competition.....your just 21, still a young feller..

"The patient fighter does'nt just charge his opponent, attacking at random and exposing himself to a counter. Rather, he waits until his opponite makes a mistake and engages when victory can be ensured" Jhoon Rhee