• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The use of Angles in Traditional Karate

Pacificshore

I've had the opportunity to study Shotokan for about 2 years before returning to the art of Kenpo/Kempo. During my time in Shotokan I noticed a lack of emphasis on angled attacks and defense. Are there reasons for this other than the quickest point from A to B is a straight line? Are angles of attack and defense tought at the higher ranks, or is it something that eventually gets incorporated as you progress in your training? Thanks for your input. :grin:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by angled blocks ?

In the style i do there is alot of emphasis on evading or deflecting the opponent and then attacking from the side and we practice alot of blocks that are for attacks from behind / side.

Not sure if thats what you meant.

Just my opinions, toast me if you want :lol:

------------

Understanding what you do not understand is far more important than what you think you know.

As I recalled during my time in Shotokan, we did not do much evading or deflecting. It was pretty much a matter of block and counter, and for the most part every movement was done pretty much in a linear fashion.

I guess the angles I was referring to was more in reference to footwork. Moving more in a 45* manner and then using attacks or defenses that complimented that angle.

I'm just curious to know if there are other traditional karate styles that uses or incorporates the use of angles more so than others. Since my background in Japanese/Okinawan karate is limited to Shotokan, I thought I'd ask.

Many of the folks I met in the Shotokan dojo were/are very good at what they do, but even they had limited use of angles in their footwork. Thanks for the input!

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I go to two differnt Shotokan dojos. At one all the blocks seem to be taught in a linear manner but at the other they put a lot of emphasis on moving to the side and using different blocks with different footwork. They also do more work on evading and also using the blocks as an attack technique.

As saifightMS said, in the okinawan style i do we are taught right from the start to step or flick ourselves to 45* while blocking and then counter from that angle.

If done properly the block is just a precaution because you evade the strike anyway.

Just my opinions, toast me if you want :lol:

------------

Understanding what you do not understand is far more important than what you think you know.

I take Yoshu-kai Karate and we emphasy stepping to the side at a 45 degree angle alot. Its part of our footwork. Blocks are done in a circular motion as in the downward, inner and outer side blocks.

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

I'm at a relatively early stage of my training - bluebelt (though with all the styles and varying teaching levels out there that doesn't mean much) but already I've started learning a series of drills where Tai Sabaki (evasion) is used. The mail drill I'm thinking of is quite straightforward -- the kogeki (attacker) attacks in a straight line with prearranged attacks, and the uki (defender) then blocks directly first of all, and then steps 45 degrees away for the following two moves. This is done in zenkutsu dachi, nekoashi dachi and then sanchin dachi (I dare say there are more versions which I've not yet seen).

Hope this is some help. (Oh, incase you're interested I'm studying Kusano Ha ****oryu. Its funky :grin:

We bring in shifting and other deflection attacks and blocks in about half way though our belt system.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."