• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring video

Hart

All in all, I thought it was pretty good. Some of the competitors stunk...but there was tons of great technique executed. You really get to see the power generated in knee and elbow strikes. I especially like the fact that several people were droped by strikes to the body. People often underestimate the effectiveness of these strikes. In contrast, I am always game to see someone KOed by a good kick to the head. Mainly because so many people say it can't be done in a real fight situation. That was pretty darn close to real. I liked it. It's not for everyone...but it's very good. Thanks for sharing it with us.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Haha. Its good to hear these opinions of Daidojuku, cause thats what I do. Great clip!

I remember the first time I saw it I thought it was too messy and "brawly" too. But thats what happens when you take all the restrictive rules out of karate competition. Real fights are messy brawls. Theres no room for pretty form, its just a matter of doing what works in the situation.

And when you compete with these guys, you realise there is actually alot more technique to it then it appears. We combine karate, Judo, Muay Thai, and BJJ into a full contact knockdown format. You can clearly see techniques from each of these arts being used effectively against fully resisting opponents in the video. Its a good way to find out what really works against someone whos trying to knock your head off.

Also, the video only showed clips of intense clashes. The whole fight isnt all like that. Well, maybe sometimes.

As far as spectating goes though, I'd rather watch a good muayThai match. Alot more strategy and precision involved. But for my own training I enjoy the freedom and realism of Daidojuku.

I'm going to be competing in the prelims for the tournie showed on the vid next week. Starting to get those pre comp nerves already.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

Haha. Its good to hear these opinions of Daidojuku, cause thats what I do. Great clip!

I remember the first time I saw it I thought it was too messy and "brawly" too. But thats what happens when you take all the restrictive rules out of karate competition. Real fights are messy brawls. Theres no room for pretty form, its just a matter of doing what works in the situation.

And when you compete with these guys, you realise there is actually alot more technique to it then it appears. We combine karate, Judo, Muay Thai, and BJJ into a full contact knockdown format. You can clearly see techniques from each of these arts being used effectively against fully resisting opponents in the video. Its a good way to find out what really works against someone whos trying to knock your head off.

Also, the video only showed clips of intense clashes. The whole fight isnt all like that. Well, maybe sometimes.

As far as spectating goes though, I'd rather watch a good muayThai match. Alot more strategy and precision involved. But for my own training I enjoy the freedom and realism of Daidojuku.

I'm going to be competing in the prelims for the tournie showed on the vid next week. Starting to get those pre comp nerves already.

If thats in comparison in what I said, I didn't say that at all, I meant precision, but I guess I shouldn't be so defenseive...

What will kind of training do you do to prepare for your tournament coming up?

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

This past month I've been training really hard to prepare for the tournie.

Nothing special really, just doing everything more intensely.

My dojo is very heavily Muay Thai influeced so the training is pretty typical of a MT / MMA gym. Shadow boxing/ Pad work/heavybag/technique drills/ sparring/clinching/ground fighting. Plus lots of push ups/sit ups/ squat jumps.

And I've been doing sprints and hill runs when I can.

Also I've been focusing on various techniques from MT clinching to use against Judo throws. We do practically no Judo in my Dojo, so I have to be prepared to deal with guys who are going to try and grab and throw.

Stamina is a big issue for me, so I've been doing lots of interval training.

i.e. going full on max output for a certain length of time then take a short rest, and repeat over and over. This can be done on Thai pads for 3 min rounds with 30 sec breaks, or on the heavy bag. Sometimes I'll do a 30 sec rush of balistic attacking, rest 10 secs ,and repeat, for the lenth of a couple of rounds.

Another method is to do a curcuit of 4 or 5 exercises for a round. rest 30secs and repeat. I usually do squat jumps, running on the spot, pushups, sit ups, burpees, doing each for 10-15 reps and going straight to the next one.Keeping it at max pace all the way.

Oh and the secret to stopping your plastic face mask from fogging up is...

Dishwashing liquid! Just put a little on a rag and wipe the inside of the mask.Not only will you be able to see but you'll smell like lemons! :)

It wont help you breathe any easier though. Man its hard to breathe in those things! It takes a bit of getting used to. And they're cumbersome on the ground too. But the benefits of using them makes it worth it.

I'm curious about whether there are any styles in the rest of the world who use full face gear and fight without gloves. Anybody seen it?

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

Menjo-I agree with you, I saw some good throws, but I didn't really like what I saw.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."