• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self Training

evilgollum

This is a thread for all of us that can't get to a dojo often enough. For whatever reason. What are some good things you can do in you're basement/gym/backyard, or wherever you're able to be? Everybody just list one or two good excersizes for training by yourself. I'll start us off:

Kicking combonations: Same leg front kick, side snap, roundhouse, side thrust, set down. Repeat 5-10 times, then switch sides.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Use a mirror. Slow down your techniques, check to make sure your fist is really on your hip and your elbow is tucked in.. You shouldn't be able to see a hole though your body and elbow. Using the mirror, check your feet position in stances, make sure they are facing the correct way.

The dojo is used for training with partners, home is used for correcting your own techniques.

Good thread, evilgollum!!

Anything you want to work on in more detail than you can in the dojo, i.e. stance work, certain combinations, kata....

Just as GOM said, you can slow it down and REALLY work on your form and basics.

I also like to work with resistance tubes, for added resistance to punches and kicks.

home is also the perfect place to condition.

warm up

kata

shadow boxing

pushups

squats

jumping rope

dips

pull ups

footwork training (only - no strikes, as with kata)

heavy bag training

take the above and put together a training program based on the time frame that you are working with.

Use a mirror. Slow down your techniques, check to make sure your fist is really on your hip and your elbow is tucked in.. You shouldn't be able to see a hole though your body and elbow. Using the mirror, check your feet position in stances, make sure they are facing the correct way.

The dojo is used for training with partners, home is used for correcting your own techniques.

I fully agree, and you said it like I would have.

Mirrors and going slow are great to really improve.

A good excersize for doing alone that we did in class today (Sensei Nishiyama visited today! it was really neat):

Rising block with the left leg forward, pull back, rising block on the right side, downward block to the left (90 degree turn), pull back, downward block behind you (to the right, 180 degree turn), pull back, inside block to the front on the left side, pull back, inside block on the right side, pull back, outside block to the left, pull back, outside block behind you, pull back, knife hand on left side, pull back, knife hand on right side, pull back, knife hand to the left, pull back, knife hand behind you.

Basically, a series of blocks going front, front, left, right. Be sure to pull back with the inner thighs each time.

A good excersize for doing alone that we did in class today (Sensei Nishiyama visited today! it was really neat):

Rising block with the left leg forward, pull back, rising block on the right side, downward block to the left (90 degree turn), pull back, downward block behind you (to the right, 180 degree turn), pull back, inside block to the front on the left side, pull back, inside block on the right side, pull back, outside block to the left, pull back, outside block behind you, pull back, knife hand on left side, pull back, knife hand on right side, pull back, knife hand to the left, pull back, knife hand behind you.

Basically, a series of blocks going front, front, left, right. Be sure to pull back with the inner thighs each time.

Why not practise kata with these blocks in them??? If you are going to do some self training, it is better practising kata than practising standard blocks.

One of my arts has specific "tricks" or techniques that they do, and I go over these carefully, picking one or two, again and again and again :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu