• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Importance of Breaking (a minor worry)

I tried breaking a piece of paper on string. It moved back ever time than when my friend who travles alot to learn martial arts did it no problem. I thought it would be easy but I guess I jumped the gun a bit to fast :grin:

Is it not easier to strike a mountain than it is to strike a fly!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Ksn.

Step sparring is pre-arranged couters and strikes. One person plays the attacker, the other plays the defender. For instance, if my attacker punches, I have to block and counter .... knife-hand block, punch to the face, solarplex (sp?), or ribs. Or if my attacker throws a front kick, I do a low block and knife-hand strike ect. It gets harder the farther up the ranks you go. You have to block and do more than one strike and/or defense.

I like step sparring. I'm not a big fan of free sparring. Step sparring is better, because it prepares you for blocks, counters/strikes of all kinds. It helps you with speed and timing. And you can aim for vital areas. In free sparring, you can't.

Laurie F

True Step Sparring and Free Sparring are different, but you cannot say one is definitely better than the other. Both are needed, and compliment each other well. :smile:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

• 2 weeks later...
We don't do a lot of breaking and it is a requirement for my apprentice test next month. So I guess it must also be a mental exercise. I have no idea what I will have to do. I guess it provides that surpise and mental challenge element to the test. My nine year old son can break the same boards as adults with any kick, spinning or otherwise. And then I see adult not be able to do it. I think it tests your confidence, your technique and your accuracy. Some times it seems so ease and then the next thing I know my hand is in pain for weeks ! I would like to know if there is a history behind it or something.

Here are some prior posts on the subject of board breaking....

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=1365&forum=2

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=1224&forum=7

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=373&forum=2

As far as impressing Americans with board breaking and convincing us to train in the martial arts because of it here is the story behind that.

"In 1952, Master Masutatsu Oyama of Japan traveled across the United States, giving demonstrations of intricate karate katas. Few Americans were able to appreciate his skill, however, and his demonstrations were met with boos and hisses until Master Oyama began to demonstrate board and brick breaking techniques. This effective demonstration of the potential power of Karate was something the American audience could appreciate and the boos changed to applause. Unfortunately, this method of getting the audience's attention implanted a false notion of what martial arts are all about in the minds of most Americans. In reality, breaking techniques play only a small part in Karate and Tae Kwon Do training, but the exaggerated emphasis placed on them has changed very slowly in the American concept of the Eastern martial arts. Today, most Americans, and certainly those who practice some form of Oriental martial art skill, recognize that Tae Kwon Do is a complex art and sport as well as an effective self-defense technique."

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Black Tae Kwon Do

CardioKickboxing/Fitness Inst.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-04-29 13:18 ]