• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

streetfight techniques.. real combinations

It's never as you plan it. Personally I like the two hit method (should the need ever arise) Me hitting someone and then them hitting the ground :D

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all practice different m.arts all over the world. We take a style and individualise it. So after so many years how did it turn out. Id like to hear other peoples real life combinations that took place in the street. Did you cock your hand to your hip and reverse punch. Did you upper block reverse punch. was it a triple wing chun punch. was it an elbow and knee. Did it happen as you were taught in the dojo, or was it a slug fest till you got lucky. Ill go first. My first 3 streetfights after 10years ma.

Left jab- double leg takedown- right cross while he was on the ground-over.

Right cross. left hook. over. Hook caused swollen hand. hard to land bare knuckles.

R.cross- L. hook- R. cross- rear round kick chamber and snap style to upper arm- over.

My hands were down by my sides then i attacked as he moved forward. My punches flowed in a boxing style and my fists landed thumb up. Vertical punches seem to land better bare knuckles.

Hi

In my younger days when I was somewhat wild I got into many street fights and bar fights. I am now 49 yrs old and have been training since age 7. I am now 7th Dan.

In the fights outside the dojo I had, I used:

Classical upper block (age uke)

Mid section cross block (soto uke)

Sweeping block (nagashi uke)

Front kick (mae geri)

Lower level side kicks (yoko geri)

Jab (Kizami zuki)

Reverse punch (gyaju zuki)

Elbow strike (empi uchi)

Palm heal strike (teisho uchi)

Foot sweep (ashi barai)

Hmmm thats about it.

I got into these fights when I was Shodan and Nidan level. 1st and 2nd Dan.

I am now ashamed that I got into these fights. I was young and wanting to test myself. Fortunately I never lost a fight and even more fortunate my teachers never found out.

Street fights are fast and furious and you have to be prepared to expect anything. Even spouses simultaneously hitting you with an umbrella!!

The best thing to do when verbal trouble starts, stay within kicking distance but out of his punching distance. This gives you the advantage.

Use dumby attacks where you can. Most street fighters assume a dumby attack is real and leave huge openings.

Learn to get in and hit and move back out of the attack. In and out like a swallow.

In a real street fight you do not have time to think of combinations. You only have time to react. Your reactions may or may not bring out combinations.

The last street fight I had I only needed to hit the guy once, then I foot swept him down to the ground. He was hurt bad and crawled away on the floor.

Relax, line up where you are going to attack and attack with full force, mind, body and soul. Punch one foot on the other side of the person with total dedication and power.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

the three serious fights i've been in, i used mainly crosses and hooks, kicks to the legs and body drops. the good old body drop has saved me from serious injury twice. nothing complicated. in my experience fighting is about being confident and taking the initiative. get in there, get your hits in first, get them on the floor and leave.

all these fights occured before i had much martial arts experience when i was in my late teens. the last fight i had; at the time i was 3rd kyu in shotokan if i remember right.

i should probably say that i could have avoided all of those fights had i wanted to, but teen ego needs feeding :D since then there have been several situations where i could have fought and most likely won had i wanted to, but i just left it.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

It is hard to walk away sometimes, especially when you give a guy a chance, and he just won't quit. Then, it seems like he just needs to be dropped, and lets face it....you only got two cheeks to turn!

It is hard to walk away sometimes, especially when you give a guy a chance, and he just won't quit. Then, it seems like he just needs to be dropped, and lets face it....you only got two cheeks to turn!

I agree. Years ago it was easier to walk away for some reason. Today, a lot of people are too aggressive and will not allow a walk away because it is almost as if they feel you walking away is a loss to them.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

An ego can be a dangerous thing.

I am finding that a problem that I have is that I am not an overly aggressive person, and not very confrontational. I am trying to overcome this in my new job.

• 3 weeks later...
You cant beat mma for the real street fight effect. It has all the components of streetfighting that i have seen and been involved in but they are better at it. Most of us cant train as hard or as long as they do and cant commit to combat fighting as seriously as them.

Except the guy on the bottom's buddy kicking you in the head with a pair a steel toed work boots, because you've mounted his best friend and your pounding his face in.

Its great to plan for battle.....however, the holes in all battle plans are evident as soon as the first round comes down range. All plans must have contingencies that must be practiced just as hard as the primary plan.

Technique's, whether MMA or TMA, only work if you can make them work. If you see the bunkai of a particular technique, then odds are that technique will work for you (it may not for someone else, because they just don't see it).

I train in TMA, but I love watching MMA. They're modern day gladiator's, and should be respected because of the training they put in to entertain us. Not heros, not warriors, entertainers. I won't bag on their ability to fight on the street either, because most of them got into MMA because of the street fighting experience they had, and that's why their good at MMA.

Be careful about turning away. Even now, I'm a strong advocate for trying to negotiate and diffuse the situation verbally. A few years ago, this backfired on me once.

I had some guys confront me. I difused the situation verbally (or so I thought). I watched and made sure they had gone, then turned and went my way.

A couple of minutes later, the first thing I knew was I was on the ground. I had been king hit from behined. I was then punched in the face before I was able to get a hit in. (and I was a black belt at the time). I'm lucky that all I have to show for it is a scar on my lip.

What did I do wrong? I thought they had gone and I relaxed...

Now, I will still try to resolve it verbally, but I will have less tolerance these days and will be more alert afterwards.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• 2 weeks later...