• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

upcoming knockdown tournaments

powerof0ne

I plan on competing in a Kyokushin tournament on April 29th(https://www.seattlekarate.net/tournament.html) and also in the World Oyama fighter's cup(sp?) on June 4th but was wondering if any of you knew of any other knockdown rules tournaments around july to september in the USA. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Osu here is a overview on our knockdown rules when in competition:

The winner shall be determined on full point (IPPON) or at time one half point (WAZA-ARI). Two half points awarded will constitute one full point.

1, Full point win - IPPON:

With the exception of techniques which are fouls and not allowed by the contest rules, any technique that connect and instantaneously downs the opponent for longer than 3 seconds, scores a full point.

When a contestant informs the referee or judges that he is beaten as the result of techniques allowed within the contest rules, his opponent shall be awarded a full point.

A serious foul by or the disqualification of a contestant will automatically give the other contestant the win in a contest.

2. Half point win - WAZA-ARI :

Where a contestant is knocked down by a technique allowed within the contest rules and regain a standing position within 3 seconds, a half point can be awarded to his opponent. The (downed) opponent will be allowed to continue with the contest only if in opinion of the referee he is fit to do so. This will be after consultation with the doctor, at the referees discretion.

When an opponent is downed with a technique including foot sweeps and a well focused but non-contact technique is followed through, WAZA-ARI is awarded.

Any attack to the opponents head, face, neck with the open hand, fist or any part of the arm. Except in exceptional circumstances, this will normally merit an automatic disqualification

Kicks to the groin.

Head thrust or butts.

Kicks to any part of the knee

Grabbing or holding an opponent or his/hers DOGI.

Elbow strikes to any part of the opponents back.

Striking or kicking an opponent who has been downed, unless the attack immediately follows the sweep or downing techniques. in which case contact is not allowed.

Making an attack from the floor after having been downed by the opponent. (This should not be confused with an opponent defending himself whilst on the floor).

Failing to obey the referee's instructions during the bout.

Any other techniques or practice that the referee of the contest shall decide is improper or unfair.

osu.

It seems like the best way to find knockdown tournaments is to check the websites of the full-contact styles' organizations. I was trying to make a list of all of them I could think of. I hope others will add those that I missed (these are Karate, not Muay Thai, Jujitsu, or other full-contact styles):

Organizations that sponsor full-contact, knockdown tournaments in North America:

- IKO(1)/IFKK

- World Oyama

- NAKO (North American Kyokushin Organization)

- AKKO (American Kyokushin Karate and Aki-Jujitsu International)

- Seidojuku

- Kyokushin Union/Kyokushin Canada

- Enshin

- Shidokan

Knockdown tournament-sponsoring organizations outside North America:

- Ashihara (NIKO)

- Ashihara International

- Daido Juku

- Satojuku (Odo)

- IKO (2), (3), and (4)

- IFK (UK)

- AKK (Australia)

- Seido-kaikan

- Kyokushin-kan

I'm sure that there's probably some European and west/central Asian independent, Kyokushin-related organizations that I'm missing.

Powerofone, the rules for the tournament you are entering are shown on the website for the tournament. You can download in pdf file.

Each tourney will have slight or large variations of these rules. For example, as you know the Sabaki events have dramatically different rules than the Kyokushin events.

• 1 month later...

I got second place competing in the childrens 14-17 in the oyama tournament yesterday, only reason I didn't get first is because I got kicked in the head :evil:

but too bad, not allowed to punch to the head in that tournament, a little bit too unrealistic for "full contact"

EDIT: A clean round house kick to the head is a point, it seemed the only way to win that tournament was by kicking to the head, I didn't like that too much.

YAY pepto bismol

As in all sports, best way to learn how to win, and of course evade disaster, is to learn the rules first. Be prepared for those head kicks. From what I heard on here, three seconds down or two knockdowns will be a win here. Be careful.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"