• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fees for gradings

GOM

I promoted someone to brown belt after 2 years of private lessons with me, this is the quickest I have ever promoted someone but he was training around 5 days a week with me at least an hour and a half each time, all private.

I also only charged him for the cost of the belt and certificate(s)..made no profit off of him but that's because I also had him fight for me in Muay Thai and Kickboxing competition..long story.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a fee for gradings, which are usually on Saturdays. I don't resent it. The various senseis give up their time to grade us and the last three gradings I have been graded by the chief instructor of our club. On each occasion, he has taken me to one side and given me advice on how to improve. So I have paid for the instruction as well as the grading itself.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I think that there are alot of inexperienced minds at work by calling every school (dojo) system that is not comparable to their own "mcDojo". Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of schools out there that can fall under that catagory. Tell me how much you think it costs to open a school on non traditional class days to test up to 100 - 150 students. People including the test takers are in the dojo for hours using the restrooms and restroom products, water, heat or air conditioning, electricity, and we have a pizza party at the end. If there was not a minimal testing fee per student, we could not have such a memorable day for these individuals. Instructors could not take time from their own jobs to participate in conducting tests. We are not charging an arm or a leg here. $15 - $25 per person (depending on what color belt they test for) is not asking too try to keep some excitement in a students career in a dojo.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Mine depends on how you enrolled. If you agree to a 2 year or longer enrollment, all belt fees(except black belt), organization dues, and starting equipment are covered in your tuition(which is actually $10-15 per month cheaper than a shorter enrolment). Otherwise, I believe it's $15 a belt test.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Zero. We pay nothing for belt tests.

HKF

Welcome to McDojo's! One supersize blackbelt coming right up sir!

At Mcdojo's, your ability to succeed is only limited by the size of your wallet, and we back that up in writing!

My dojo also does not charge for belt exams. I don't, however, hold it against a school that does charge a testing fee. Provided the fee structure is clear, and charges are reasonable for the level and dojo costs incurred, I think a nominal fee can be appropriate.

The issue I have is with Grandmasters charging thousands of dollars for "visits" where the visitor leaves with a newly minted Shodan, Nidan, etc. This diminishes the integrity of the system and commoditizes the art.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Tong il Lo students have to pay testing fees, they start at 25.00. It does not bother me to pay, I know what thet money goes for as far as new belt, rank certificate exam paper work that is used in the testing and time for the classroom, when we test our intructors will close class for the entire day, got to help cover that cost somehow...

"The patient fighter does'nt just charge his opponent, attacking at random and exposing himself to a counter. Rather, he waits until his opponite makes a mistake and engages when victory can be ensured" Jhoon Rhee

Dlove said "when we test our intructors will close class for the entire day, got to help cover that cost somehow..." My point exactly.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Belt testing fees are a controversial subject indeed. I have seen it all through my travels and have a definite opinion on this. We (as instructors) expect our students to work hard and be sharp and they pay us (in most cases) for our guidance and knowledge. I don't feel it is justified to charge a student for a kyu grading that generally takes place in class during daily training-I'm not in it for the testing fees! Black Belt grading is another story as this usually takes place outside of class, involves registration through one or more organizations, and often includes visiting Masters, etc.

Now having said that: I charge my students what my Master Instructor charges me for a belt and certificate. Nothing more.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/