• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fees for gradings

GOM

I was looking at the "McDojo" link in wikipedia and came across this -

Another frequently seen McDojo practice is charging a fee per belt test or per actual advancement in rank within a particular school. This is frequently combined with creating additional levels of rank within a school, making a school known as a “Belt Factory.”

Is this seen as a money grabbing scheme?

What does your dojo do in this situation?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think promotion fee is an indicator, too. To promot in judo around here, you can do it through two people, one costs $50, the other $10. Of course, because of circumstances, the $50 place promotes tons, and the $10 one promotes few, but they are quite qualified for their rank.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I also think that the statement indicating a dojo that charges fees to upgrade is a McDojo to be somewhat ridiculous. I run a full-time Dojo and the only way I really survive is to receive money for gradings.

Thanks for your views.

In all honesty a black belt test isn't cheap..do you have any idea how much a good quality black belt costs? In some of the bigger associations a fee has to be paid so you can receive your certificate under them, too.

I have yet to promote a student to black belt but when I do it will probably cost them around $150...and most of that is going to go towards the belt.

Now, charging in the $thousands is kind of insane, I know of some schools that do insane stuff like this.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

the belt itself can be bought at any martial arts supply store for under ten dollars, the reason why i charge for testing, along with my instructors is because i have to take vacation time from work and need to make up for lost money. The testings in my school consist of a minimum of 2 days in a row each starting at 7 am and going to 430 or 5 pm. Two days off of work where you put in on average of 10 hours at 20 dollars an hour works out to 200 dollars for one day, and 400 dollars for two. Two days is the minimum, if im testing black belts we take an entire week 5 work days plus weekend, thats 1000 dollars of my pay check. I charge 10 for white-yellow, $20 for yellow-purple, 30 for purple-green, $40 for green-brown, and 50 for brown- black. We only have testings once or twice a year, so there is a 6 month window between each testing (i have to build up vacation time) so when you look at it, i spend my vacation time testing students instead of spending time with my family every year. Testing for grades of black belts doubles price for each dan rating in my school as well. I don't think that we are a mcdojo, we have to survive off of the money from our main job not teaching and when you take time off you need to make up that money to pay for bills, especially if you have kids. Also on another note i only pay 20 dollars a month for my classes. The instructor raised his schools price to 35 over time, but you only get charged what ever you started with paying in my school. Just my ramble to give you another look at the reason for testing at least for those that dont run a full time dojo and require a second job to pay the bills.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

One might want to focus more on training time per belt level as an indicator of a "McDojo" than they do testing fees. I've heard stories, people bragging even, of getting their black belt in as little as 18 months.

Excuse me, 18 months? Right.

To date, I have paid exactly $200 in testing fees. That's over almost 4 years and covers all the gup levels. Nothing "McDojo" about that.

TANG SOO!

I think the fastest you could get a black belt in my school would be 3.5 yrs.....but that would be quite amazing and rare. We require at least one year between green and brown and another year minimum between brown and black before you are even considered for the thought of testing, but we only test those that have "mastered" everything needed for that level and all previous levels along with showing proper mental maturity.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I think the fastest you could get a black belt in my school would be 3.5 yrs.....

Very much the same here. Takes right at 2 years to earn a red belt and one stays at red for a little over 2. I've seen it done faster but that's with people that show up to class 4-5 nights a week, obviously practice alot at home, have a better than average talent for martial arts, and/or have earned a belt already in another, similar art.

TANG SOO!

a Hirota, tokaido, toyo, shuriedo satin embroidered belt..at retail will cost more then $100.

Using my wholesale account it wouldn't be all that much cheaper..a black belt lasts a while so I buy quality.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=