• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full Time Instructors

1)

How did you get there?

- I always watched my instructor teach class then the summer after i turned 15 my instructor started my on the track to teaching

What tips do you have to those wishing to follow in your footsteps?

- You cant please everyone. My situation was that i was put in charge of the dojo in replacement of another instructor. I had to make many policy and instructor changes over the past 2 months. everyday i have a complaint but i know what im doing is for the best so i just grin and bear it.

2) What are the down sides that perhaps we might not think of? eg. the hours etc.

- You never have a day off. Like any business you are always thinking about how to make it better. Also it can be annoying when you lose your voice lol, but after a while your voice is pretty lose proof.

3) What is the best thing about what you do?

- When a little kid comes up to you and hands you a drawing they made for you at school. Or when a parent tells you how you changed their kids lifes. And how many people can say they do the thing they love everyday... and get paid well for it lol

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i honestly can relate to everything that luckorskill007 has just posted. the hours may get to you at first..but just make it part of what you do everyday, and you must be willing to make sacrifices, such as social life and so on. however it really is an awesome feeling to have children show you the kindness of there heart and let you know that they wanted to make something for you...it really is the ultimate payoff, and only those who have experienced it can appreciate it.

nomatter what it be, will power and heart produces great things

there is a diference between taaching for a living, and teaching to get rich.

its the people that teach to get rich, open lots of schools etc etc that can lose the artform and run it as a full business. notice i said can, not do. there are exceptions.

if you only want to teach to make a living, then you can maintain the art, cos you will be able to spend more time learning and improving as you dont actually have a job to worry about.

this kind of thing would be my goal, not to get rich. actually, i am building up another business to get me rich so i can have the time to learn and improve, and, hopefully teach my way, not some franchises way.

Now you use head for something other than target.

I would have to agree with you zorbasan. My goal is to teach full time but by no stretch of the imagination do I intend on watering down the style or becoming a McDojo. We have been running for 9 years now with a good reputation and I don't intent to ruin it.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

you are right there are people that really do an injustice to the art, however my master is a very succesful instructor and business man, he owns a franchise and has seven schools open, but most importantly he does produce awesome martial artist and amazing competitors, he himself won the US open as a grand champion and won the korean national open before he moved to the states. so becoming rich off of what you love and are good at....isn't a bad thing at all..nor should it be frowned upon... i instruct fulltime and manage a school and i have made sure not to loose sight of why i teach, and that is to make my students better than i am

nomatter what it be, will power and heart produces great things

My martial arts plan is part of my retirement plan. I'm in the military and will retire in roughly 5 years. I'm on track to receive my Shodan early to mid next year.

Yes, yes I know, got started late in life because it was out of my parents price range when I was young. What has helped me excel was my regimental physical training, and flexibility that I previously had. Not to mention I'm certified by my particular service as a formal instructor, and have spent many years teaching. I'm also a parent, and very patient haha.

At any rate, I'll get my Shodan next year about the time I due to rotate to Okinawa for the last 4 years of my service. I'm hoping to return from Oki as at least a Sandan. With my retirement check, and my spouse's career taking care of the bills, I'm hoping to be able to open up a very traditional, but semi lucrative (not gold and jewels, but enough to make my retirement a little easier) school.

I've had long discussions with my Sensei upon his return from martial arts symposiums and shows, and the one thing he always tells me that he takes away from those events is: how much is the training your providing worth?

I read some of the martial arts boards, and I always hear a lot about how much do you pay for training. These topics usually get over run with the opinions about "not signing contracts", or "you're paying way too much", and I think a lot of people are forgetting some fundamental aspects of these thoughts. How long have you been training to achieve what you've achieved? How much money and time have you put into your martial arts life (I say life because as many days a week and hours as you put into training, it might as well be a job)? How good do you feel your training is? Would you rather learn martial arts in a broom closet with tile floors, while using old tackling dummy's purchased from a garage sale, or would you rather train in a facility that's designed for your training without distraction? Everyone wants to give back what they've been taught, but at what price to your own lifestyle and your family life? Not to mention the actually cost of running a dedicated school (Lease/mortage, utilities, equipment, updating worn out equipment, etc. etc.).

You don't have to water down training, or create a "Mc Dojo" to make a little money giving back what you've been taught. You have to put together a good business plan, balance your personal relationship with your students and/or their parents with the fact that you are running a business and also have a business relationship with your students and/or their parents (best way that I've seen for this is to talk about business or Karate programs when your not wearing a gi, and talk about Karate techinque and instruction when your wearing your gi), and be very clear about what you expect from your students and what they can expect from the school when they walk through the door and before they sign their contract.

As far as repeat business, meaning students signing a new contract at the end of their last, you have to make sure all the expenses are clearly outlined and written down in black and white before you take on a student. How many times have we all heard about the school with all of the "hidden cost's" down the street, only to have those same "hidden cost's" pop up at our own school? Make sure that students understand at certain grades they'll be required to own certain equipment (Kobudo weapons), or certain uniform items. Make sure they understand that testing fee's are charged so that the organization that the school belongs to can keep advertising, or providing things for the betterment of the school and discipline of martial arts they belong to (school depend on what those fee's go to, of course).

Most importantly, don't discuss the financial status of the school with students unless those students are employed by the school (I. E.- Chief instructor, or full time black belt instructors), as it is partially their responsibility to keep students coming to class, and welcoming new students. This helps to curb the responsibility (guilt trip) issue away from those students that are paying your bills. Simply put, when a student is thinking about whether or not the program he/she signed a contract for may or may not be available due to financial problems of keeping that particular program running, they won't focus on Karate. This will become a burden on their mind, and they won't enjoy training anymore. In other words they won't sign their next contract, they'll take their business elsewhere and you might lose one of the best and most loyal students you ever had.

These are just a few of my thoughts and plans. Not to say that quality training can't be received by part time instructor's in borrowed facilities, but when I'm looking for a place to give my hard earned money to it doesn't matter how much I'm paying, as long as I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. If my Sensei was more concerned with the bottom line at his day job then how to enhance my martial arts training, I'd be hard pressed to release some of my paycheck to him.

There's more to martial arts training, or teaching than just showing up at your appointed class times and learning or teaching. Its just a fact of life, people have to eat, and gas cost's money.

Fantastic Post!!

I think you raised some great issues there. Most importantly, tackle this ever growing opinion that somone wanting to make a profit turns them into a McDojo.

I believe there is nothing wrong with making a profit as long as your students are still getting good value for money. A dojo doesn't have to be a charity.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• 2 weeks later...

A few things I have learned from reading alot and talking to other commercial full time instructors.

A large amount of students is neccessary ( about 200 to 400)

Adults and children separate-duh

A professional billing company- Member Solutions, something like that that way you don't have to collect all the time.

Higher rates- You have really affordable rates, but have lots of room to increase if needed. You can add an upgrade option, everyone has something like this in sales.

Pro-shops in your dojo don't require alot of effort and can still bring in substantial profit.

Testing fees, you probably already do that

lots of promotions and marketing- free month gift cert. with a uniform, give it to a current student to give to a friend.

Extracurricular activities-Birthday parties, etc can bring in good income as well for an hour or two.

Annual activities-Banquet, dinners, sell tickets for the families, use it as an opportunity to hand out awards, achievements.etc

Just some ideas I have in my notebook and alot more but I may be boring you to death at this point. I know it is a tricky business with retention and getting new students being the key. I definately think from reading your posts that you would be successful in this endeavor with some time and work. Good luck

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

Personally I would not touch a billing company with a 100 mile barge pole, let alone a 10' one.

Could you give the reason for not touching(using) a billing company or your experience with one so that we will know why for future reference

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.