• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frayed belts...

I'm not bothering reading everyone's post on this one.But in many cases the belt has been handed down from instructor to student.My instructor has a belt that is horrably faded and freyed,and he plans on giving it to the first person he promotes to black.This is and old tradition that a sensei gives his black belt to the first person he promotes to blackbelt to pass on his knowledge and spirit. So when my Sensei passes his belt down to one of us it will be the fourth or fifth time it has been handed down.I think it would be a great honor to recieve my Sensei's belt.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My belt is worn looking but hasn't quite started to fray yet.When I was promoted to greenbelt my instructor gave me her old belt, I felt very honored.It must be about 20 years old now :)

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

lol one of my instructors belts is sooo worn that its turning multi color at first i was like there is a rainbow belt but we were at a seminar one day and he was like hmmmm i think i should buy a new belt

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

• 4 weeks later...
if I was in a senseis position, I would have two belts. One for wear and tear and the other to prserve. I don't know if your could do that though.

There's no reason why one couldn't do that.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I think you guys should respect all martial arts aspects as honorable. Particularly belts. In my experience it would be best to wear something that shows that you respect the martial arts and anyone else you might see at things like tournaments or shows. My suggestion is to keep a supply of good looking belts, and save any older ones for the real "special occasions".

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

personally i dont like the look of frayed or worn belts. when a black belt turns white to me it wouldnt be the same so my belt doesnt wear like some. but thats my opinion.

"When I punch, I do not hit, it hits all by itself."

Bruce Lee

I recently had a conversation with a young TKD 4th Dan who had a very worn belt. (He's in his early 20's & runs his own school. He's a talented MAist & instructor) I asked how old his belt was. He said 3 years. Then I asked how many hours a day he taught & trained. 6 days a week, for 3 to 6 hours a day. Add that to the humidity in Florida where he lives & you have a well worn (yet not frayed) belt. He didn't necessarily like it, but he didn't have a big opinion either way.

I'm all for a worn belt, if it happens naturally. Aiding or helping it to wear...not so much.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

My wife and I ran into a guy in Indiana who had a very worn belt to the point it was a cream color and not black anymore except near the embroidery on the belt. She asked him how old it was and he said not that old just 7 years. She said wow how did that happen. His response was teaching 40 classes a week and training also.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Um...just to cover my own rear for starting this discussion...

I'd like to clarify that my major objection was those that purposefully shredded their belts...I never intended it to say that frayed belts weren't good, or anything.

Yeah...

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker