• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frayed belts...

That would be really cool, but almost every BB in the ATA has their name stitched on it. Makes it a little difficult to pass along. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a tradition in our dojo where one sensei will pass a belt on to a new dan grade (not always, just some times), in this way a belt can get very old, much older than the person wearing it.

There's a girl in my dojo (she's about 13 or 14) who wears her step-dad's belt from when he used to train. It's pretty worn but she's the 3rd person to have it - it was her step-dad's and before that it belonged to his instructor. I think it is a great tradition and there's definately something great about wearing a belt that 2 or 3 or even more people have had - just think of all that history!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

That would be quite an honor to have a belt that was passed down. Sadly, I belong to an organization that uses names & rank stripes embroidered on the belts. So, its unlikely for me. :D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 2 weeks later...
Sadly, I belong to an organization that uses names & rank stripes embroidered on the belts. So, its unlikely for me. :D

Yeah, my belt has my name on it, so unless I was to find a person with exactly the same name as me, it is unlikely that I'll ever be able to pass my blackbelt onto somebody!! :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Sadly, I belong to an organization that uses names & rank stripes embroidered on the belts. So, its unlikely for me. :D

Yeah, my belt has my name on it, so unless I was to find a person with exactly the same name as me, it is unlikely that I'll ever be able to pass my blackbelt onto somebody!! :lol:

I could see giving a belt that has no stripes on it to a favorite student. I'd wear my a belt with my instructor's name on it proudly, however.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 3 weeks later...

I have my name on it, but I purposefully got just my last name, in case I ever decide to have children and they get their black belt. Besides, it's in chinese - nobody will know. :D

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

My Sensei wore the black belt of every student he promoted to the rank. 5 or 6 months before they were to test, he would begin to wear it. It was a really great tradition. I have carried it on with my students. I have only promoted two black belts but they both wear belts I trained in. The only one I will not give to my students is my first one...which will go on one of my children (assuming I have them some day) when the time comes.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

That is just it about passing a belt onto a student. An instructor shouldn't have a favorite, or make it known that he/she favors one student over others. It still would be awesome to wear it. As for the frayed thing, my instructor has his original black belt awarded to him by his instructor over 20 years ago. It is still black ( but slightly discolored). Only the edges show wear. I think also, you will see more aging on belts if you choose to wash them. That has been discussed on other threads however.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.