• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frayed belts...

I guess as with most things it just comes back to ego. I don't think I have ever seen a belt "go white" before but I have seen a few that have become naturally tattered. But it think 'Brandon Fisher' had it right, if a belts going to get old through wear it will get very weak at the knot and eventually brake well before the rest has gone white.

That said just because a dan grade is young (or hasn't had a black belt for long) and has a frayed belt doesn’t necessarily mean they have sanded it. We have a tradition in our dojo where one sensei will pass a belt on to a new dan grade (not always, just some times), in this way a belt can get very old, much older than the person wearing it.

Only by contrast can we see

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, me, too. I plan to pass on my old belts to my children (if I ever have any). My instructor does that.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

that's really cool, that black belt has a story training with several people....i really like the idea of this, if i ever get a great student sometime during my later years i think i will do this, probably at 4th dan rank to show that he/she is ready to teach their own school....or something like that.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• 2 weeks later...

I realized something about my life & this thread. I have a BB key chain from Century made from a real piece of belt. Its easily 5 years old. I carry it everywhere. The beach, work...everywhere anyone would take their keys. While its a bit worn, its still quite black & is in good shape.

So whatever is being to these belts to fray them so badly, it probably isn't wearin' em. I'm thinkin' :D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

There is a student at my home dojo that has been a black belt around 3 years that has a belt that looks like it has been through heck and back. This person is definately an "out to impress" sort.

Its funny when you look at it though because, first, this persons belt is as worn as mine (I have been wearing since 1992) and it is worn in some odd places (Like at the ends of the belt...where no knot ties)

Now my belt is relatively worn, especially where the knot goes...but I treasure my belt and do not want it to wear out. I now only wear my original belt to my students belt tests and when I go train at special events. See, I want my belt to still be tieable one day when one of my children get sho-dan...and since I am currently childless, that thing has a few more miles to go!

An exhausted looking belt worn by a 45 year old student is nice looking, one worn by a 19 year old looks ludicrous.

I realized something about my life & this thread. I have a BB key chain from Century made from a real piece of belt. Its easily 5 years old. I carry it everywhere. The beach, work...everywhere anyone would take their keys. While its a bit worn, its still quite black & is in good shape.

So whatever is being to these belts to fray them so badly, it probably isn't wearin' em. I'm thinkin' :D

I love my keychain belt! Sensei gave it to me and I always get asked about it. It gives me a chance to teach about my art.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

i knew a screwball who tied their belt behind a car and drove with it a couple of miles.

I would bet that that person is no longer in martial arts. Anyone that is trying that hard to appear more than they are, probably won't stick with the hard path to getting it that way naturally.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player