• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frayed belts...

I went to an open tournament over the weekend. There was a gal there who was a traditional karate-ka (slightly oversized Tokido gi & belt). Her belt was dark black (not gray) but frayed around the back, as well as around the knot. I thought it was odd to see a belt frayed around the back....especially since the belt showed no signs of "normal" wear (discoloration, etc). The belt went w/ an overall look of a "traditionalist", but didn't seem honest. She was an American gal in in her 20's trying to look like a 60 year old Okinawan master. It just didn't seem to fit.

Having said that, her technique was impressive.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe instead of putting dan stripes on your belt they should have levels of "fray"

:D

Now you use head for something other than target.

^Haha...I'm not even going into that. :D

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I went to an open tournament over the weekend. There was a gal there who was a traditional karate-ka (slightly oversized Tokido gi & belt). Her belt was dark black (not gray) but frayed around the back, as well as around the knot. I thought it was odd to see a belt frayed around the back....especially since the belt showed no signs of "normal" wear (discoloration, etc). The belt went w/ an overall look of a "traditionalist", but didn't seem honest. She was an American gal in in her 20's trying to look like a 60 year old Okinawan master. It just didn't seem to fit.

Hmmm my belt is a little worn around the back and knot, and yet elsewhere looks jet black and as good as new. Because of the way I tie my belt the two layers rub each other. At the moment the wear is downmost because I always tie my belt the same way, but if I was to flip it then the wear would be visible. And I guarantee that I have NEVER tried to fray my belt - I actually prefer belts to stay nice and black anyway.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Hmmm my belt is a little worn around the back and knot, and yet elsewhere looks jet black and as good as new. Because of the way I tie my belt the two layers rub each other. At the moment the wear is downmost because I always tie my belt the same way, but if I was to flip it then the wear would be visible. And I guarantee that I have NEVER tried to fray my belt - I actually prefer belts to stay nice and black anyway.

But I'm guesing Angela, that the wear on the back of your causes it to be gray. This belt showed the cotton core of the belt. So this belt showed black or white core of the belt....there was no gray that shows normal wear.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

No it is white. I have a Tokaido belt and it wears so that the white cotton core shows through. It actually does go grey after a time but that's only because the white will get dirty.

I also tend to wear my belt 6-7 days a week, hence the wear and tear.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

No it is white. I have a Tokaido belt and it wears so that the white cotton core shows through. It actually does go grey after a time but that's only because the white will get dirty.

I also tend to wear my belt 6-7 days a week, hence the wear and tear.

Perhaps I'm wrong in my assessment of this gal @ the tournament, then.

That's kinda weird for me, but it might just be because I've never kept the same belt for more than 8 months, but I've never really noticed fraying. plenty of loss of colour, but no frays. but I don't get my blackbelt till this December (hopefully!). Maybe it will happen a bit then

The best armour is to keep out of range.