• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Questions about TKD

Don't call me Sir!, you are exactly right. Dan rank is so arbitrary that the number often does not mean a thing. On this forum we have many threads on what is and what is not a black belt and almost no one seems to agree on the requirements.

Anyone who is not a CERTIFIED instructor has no right to be called an instructor.

That's nice, but who must do the certification? I've seen magazine ads for an "organization" that you can join and get your "instructor certification" by paying the membership fee. I personally think that black belts who want to teach should undergo extensive and rigorous training on how to teach before they become certified instructors, but many schools consider you an instructor by merely reaching a certain rank.

Being a great martial artist does not equal being a great teacher, and visa-versa. Like so many things in life, MA instruction is "buyer beware"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

about the rankings, i really think its just about leadership and knowledge, its not that a first dan can't teach... a first dan can teach a white belt would you not agree? teaching beginners are not really a problem eh? also, teaching exercises and whatnot, its not really teaching if thats what is going on, if something like that is going on no big...

Don't call me Sir!, you are exactly right. Dan rank is so arbitrary that the number often does not mean a thing. On this forum we have many threads on what is and what is not a black belt and almost no one seems to agree on the requirements.
Anyone who is not a CERTIFIED instructor has no right to be called an instructor.

That's nice, but who must do the certification? I've seen magazine ads for an "organization" that you can join and get your "instructor certification" by paying the membership fee. I personally think that black belts who want to teach should undergo extensive and rigorous training on how to teach before they become certified instructors, but many schools consider you an instructor by merely reaching a certain rank.

Being a great martial artist does not equal being a great teacher, and visa-versa. Like so many things in life, MA instruction is "buyer beware"

Well put, MA.

ATA has a 3 level certification program that ensures a minimum of 300 contact hours, plus 3, 3 day certification camps to be certified to teach. We have people as junior as purple belts assisting in classes, and also leading warmups in order to get a jump start on those contact hours. I have a class on Mondays and Fridays that generally gets 25-30 6-9 year old beginners (white/orange/yellow) and my colored belt assistants are invalulable to me in that class.

A 1st dan should be entirely capable of instructing the basic students of the first 4 or 5 color belt ranks.

I've also known 1st degree's that could teach rings around me, and 5th degrees that need a map to find their rearend.

As far as address, depending on the preference of the instructor, any one of the following should do:

Sir

Mr./Miss/Mrs. ____________

Sahbunim

We generally use Mr./Mrs/Miss, Master in the case of our school owner (He is a 6th degree, about to test for 7th this summer). Sahbunim is generally reserved for the bow out (Sahbunim Kamsahamnida), I think someone has called me sahbunim once outside of that.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player