• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Questions about TKD

Hey, everyone. First time post so if this has already been answered please bear with me.

I have been in japanese karate for almost 20 years. I have just recently started taking TKD. My Instructor is fairly new at this teaching thing. He is a 1st degree black but was thrown into teaching because of lack of avalible leadership.

Anyway... what I would like to know is what to call him. I am so use to saying Sensei it is crazy, but I do not know a Korean word for instructor.

I normally just say sir or Mr. Insert Name Here.

If anyone could please pronounce it out here for me I will be very grateful.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maybe it is because I am a woman, but I believe that the most important issue here is communication with your instructor.

Why don't you ask your instructor what he/she would like to be called.

I have found (inside and outside of the martial arts) that each place and each person has their own way of doing things.

An example being, in TKD I call my instructor Sir, in Aikido my instructor is his first name (his request), and in Kick Boxing, I think it is their first names when chatting privately, but in class, I hold my hand up and ask a question -- without a title (so to be honest I am not 100% sure on that one, but will ask them next time).

The most important thing for me, is my respect for the people that are my instructors and to be able to communicate to them as well.

Typically, you should call your TKD instructor 'Sabum-nim,' but from what it sounds, your instructor seems barely qualified. Are you sure the quality of your gym is up to standard? It could be worth shopping around.

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

I wouldn't necessarily assume that a first dan is going to be a bad instructor because he's new to teaching. We have always called our instructor "Master _____" . What to call the instructor can vary, depending on the level of formality that person prefers. Respect is the important part, so even if you call your instructor "Mr. ____" that doesn't really matter, so long as it's with respect.

what goes around, comes around

ok... hopefully to give a little bit of clarity if that...

Been training in various dojangs - Sir should suffice if not he wont take offence and will just correct you to the right term to use,

however - sabum-nim is the correct term for a junior black belt instructor, i wouldnt worry about him being a first dan, so long as he knows his stuff, there is a lot of variation in teaching ability across the grades, use your 20 years of expience to judge his ability in martial arts in general and if you're happy with it stay on.

I wish you luck in your trianing, take care,

"sah-boom-nim"

it's not how u spell it... but that's what u say. or...

"mr. _____"

that's a pretty weak question coming from someone who's studied karate for 20 years.

• 3 weeks later...

"My Instructor is fairly new at this teaching thing. He is a 1st degree black but was thrown into teaching because of lack of avalible leadership."

A 1st Dan teaching!!!!

Call him a student. He has no right teaching. What nonsense is this!

If you have 20 years experience in another style then you must be going crazy at having to suffer from learning from a beginner.

Anyone who is not a CERTIFIED instructor has no right to be called an instructor. Now I empathize in that this 1st Dan has been thrown into teaching, but he should just called Mr. _____ and he should be referring to you the same way.

A 1st Dan teaching!!!!

That's a ridiculous statement if you think about it. :wink:

I know some good 1st Dan teachers and some really crap 6th Dan Instructors!

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with being taught by a 1st Dan, providing he had the right credentials (Insurance, First Aid Training, CRB check, etc) and I felt that I was getting what I want/should out of the art. And then, if the art meant he was to be addressed as a Sabumnim, Sir or whatever, then so-be-it.

Multi_Talent, pull your Instructor and ask him stright. He should be approachable and honest, giving you the answer you require. As an Instructor myself (starting as a 1st Dan!), I certainly wouldn't mind being approached.

As an aside, I prefer to be called by my first name (hence: Don't call Me Sir), but that's just me. My students respect me for my experience, knowledge and ability, so I'm not fussed, nor do I demand it for respect reasons.

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

that's a pretty weak question coming from someone who's studied karate for 20 years.

Why is it? Just because someone has studied Karate doesn't mean they automatically know the ettiquette and correct titles for use in Taekwondo. It's like comparing someone who has years of experience playing baseball but no experience of basketball - just because someone knows baseball doesn't mean they automatically know basketball too. I've studied karate for a long time but when I first started TKD I asked my SBN what he wanted to be called.

Personally, I'd recommend that Multi_Talent asks his/her instructor what he wants to be called. Some people prefer a title (SahBomNim or the like), some people prefer Sir or Mr ____ and others just like to be called by their first name.

As for Multi_Talent's instructor "only" being a 1st Dan - you can learn in martial arts from people of any grade or experience. Everyone has something to teach other people. A white belt can help another white belt, even if it is 'only' to show them how to tie their belt or where to line up! I'm sure that having 20 years in karate will help MT to make a good judgement about whether or not his instructor is suitable.

A 1st Dan teaching!!!!

If you have 20 years experience in another style then you must be going crazy at having to suffer from learning from a beginner.

Why does a 1st an have no right to be teaching? Every instructor has to start out some point. Do you suggest that they wait until 2nd Dan? 3rd? 10th? MA teachers have to start teaching at some point.

Also, just because a person has 20 years experience in one style doesn't mean that they can transfer over to another style straight away. It also doesn't mean that they will be "going crazy" at "learning from a beginner". I would've personally thought that a person with 20 years MA training would have more respect, self control and willingness to learn than you imply.

Yes, 1st Dan is still "beginner" but a person with no TKD experience is even more of a beginner. If a person has trained long enough to get a 1st Dan then they obviously have some knowledge and can teach a little of the style.

Multi_Talent, I wish you good luck in your training. I've trained Karate and TKD and, although similar, it isn't always an easy step to take. between the two.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!