• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aside from schools

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

my head instructor does demos everywhere he can. he invites people he meets everywhere. i'd say word of mouth is the biggest catcher for us and our divission is growing quickly with all age groups. the most impressive sign ups i think is people who seen our senior group doing tai chi. their family members sign up, passer byers who see an 66 year old green belt can suddenly start to think it could work for them too or a mom dad and 4 children.

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

Yes, word of mouth is the best, but that can take years to build up a following to provide enough referrals.

If you are just starting out you need to get your name out there. I go door-to-door in neighborhoods and put flyers on the people's doors. I can do about 100 in an hour, so I spend one or two hours 3 times a week. It seems tedious, but it adds up. I can cover about 1000 - 1500 households each month. If only 1 out of 50 (2%) call back that's 20 - 30 new prospects a month.

I also managed to get copies of several local school directories and entered the names and addresses in a database. Now I can just whip out a few hundred mailers whenever I want.

• 2 weeks later...

Try putting the info for your classes in the classified section of the newspaper under the sporting goods section. That is far cheaper than running an ad and it is read by people interested in sports.

Also, you could do the same thing in those weekly trader papers that they have at the gas stations.

AoG

We once handed out flyers (small ones) during trick or treating. We opened the school and gave candy and fliers. Demonstrations seem to be one of the best ways though. You get a large group to watch and have someone hand out fliers to the spectators.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Fax press releases about kids events, anniversaries, black belt tests, etc, to local news outlets, newspapers, and magazines. You should get a few free submissions or even a live broadcast opportunity. Works well for us.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Thought of another way to promote your school. Get involved with local charities like March of Dimes and stuff. It is great for a school to care about local things and assist with raising money for great causes. When people see a group of young martial artist taking part in a positive neighborhood effort, it reflects on their personal image of martial arts. The students love representing their dojo this way also and love supporting local charities. It has been a positive experience for us and groups now have come to ask if we would like to sponsor a kick a thon to help raise money for so and so. What a great way to be a positive impact in a community and give back to others.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 2 weeks later...