• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What kind of Royce will we see?

Say goodnight, Gracie. :(

TKO in the first. Youth, strength, and a well-rounded training approach won this. Hughes was better both on his feet and on the ground with a near-submission of the legend---he beat Royce at his own game.

I agree with Hughes' post-fight comments that Royce should never have taken the fight. That was embarassing, and I am a big fan of Gracie.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a sound beating, but I disagree that it was embarrassing for Royce.

He showed once again that he is probably the toughest fighter in the world betraying no expression of pain and no indication of giving up when Hughes hyperextended his elbow and later let loose a barrage of punches to the back of the head.

He was beaten by a phenomenal fighter. I haven't lost any respect for him.

Although I am embarrased at the UFC for lying about Gracie's MMA record repeatedly throughout the broadcast and during the promotions for the fight.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

It was a sound beating, but I disagree that it was embarrassing for Royce.

He showed once again that he is probably the toughest fighter in the world betraying no expression of pain and no indication of giving up when Hughes hyperextended his elbow and later let loose a barrage of punches to the back of the head.

He was beaten by a phenomenal fighter. I haven't lost any respect for him.

Although I am embarrased at the UFC for lying about Gracie's MMA record repeatedly throughout the broadcast and during the promotions for the fight.

Phenomenal fighter? He's definitely the best right now. But it's not like Hughes is unbeatable. He has lost 4 times, with two of those to Dennis Hallman. He's at his prime, and Gracie is not, simple as that---Royce has certainly beaten stronger fighters in the past. But there's a big difference between 39 and 32 years old.

And IMO, it was indeed embarassing to Royce and the Gracie family to have his tail handed to him in the ground game. Listen to the post-fight interview---he absolutely wasn't in the mood for discussing the fact that he was beaten by his own style. Perhaps the Gracies were a bit arrogant in taking this fight and disregarding the obvious disadvantages in age and conditioning.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

Royce got beat at his own game- jiu jitsu. Matt showed positional dominance throughout the entire fight.

*Takes him down into cross side

*When Royce elbow escapes back to guard, Hughes passes again and establishes side control

*Hughes takes the back with hooks in when Royce attempts to roll out

Many newcomers to BJJ and MMA didnt believe it when other people said that Royce's jiu jitsu was never particularly good. Hes a black belt, and hes very good at fighting, but hes far from being able to compete with today's top notch submissions grapplers, or even someone like Matt who's weakness has shown to be submissions.

One of the reasons I love this outcome is to silence those who (for some reason) think that new school MMA is not applicable to fighting in the way that old school was. The first UFC's were about finding the toughest guys in the world and they got beat by a decent jiu jitsu fighter-this just goes to show you how skilled today's fighters really are.

Royce got beat at his own game- jiu jitsu. Matt showed positional dominance throughout the entire fight.

*When Royce elbow escapes back to guard, Hughes passes again and establishes side control

Many newcomers to BJJ and MMA didnt believe it when other people said that Royce's jiu jitsu was never particularly good. Hes a black belt, and hes very good at fighting, but hes far from being able to compete with today's top notch submissions grapplers, or even someone like Matt who's weakness has shown to be submissions.

One of the reasons I love this outcome is to silence those who (for some reason) think that new school MMA is not applicable to fighting in the way that old school was. The first UFC's were about finding the toughest guys in the world and they got beat by a decent jiu jitsu fighter-this just goes to show you how skilled today's fighters really are.

I completely agree with you.

However, skills aside, we have to keep in mind that this was a rather skinny 39 year old past his prime going against a 32 year old fireplug of fighting strength completely in his physical prime. Strength and youth were definitely factors here.

It would have proven more if Royce was about 7-8 years younger. In retrospect, it was a mismatch all the way, and unfortunately really doesn't prove that much today except for that Royce should consider retiring before he gets hurt.

With respect,

Sohan

I agree Jersey Devil. Watching Royce's old fights, frankly, I thought his jiu-jitsu was downright sloppy. Could I have gone in there and done what he did back in the early 90's? Probably not. Could I do it in another year or two if I trained for it? Without a doubt.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Accurate except Royce never got Matt in his full guard. The most he got was half-guard, which was passed easily. Which maybe proves your point even more -- Royce was unable to put Matt in his (Royce's) signature position.

EDIT: Also, his escape didn't look like any elbow escape I've seen. Nevertheless.

True, good point.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Doktervet you beat me to it, i wanted to comment on the fact that royce never got into his signature full guard position, he only managed half guard. Matt Hughes dominated him the entire round.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger