• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What kind of Royce will we see?

Im so used to typing "elbow" right next to "escape."

Simply put, Royce rolled and was able to get open/half guard on Royce. Even if Royce managed full guard, I dont think he could have done anything with it- Royce has a tendency to hold in closed guard until you give him something, which Matt wasnt going to do. Full guard or not, Royce was going to lose that fight.

As far as commenting on his age being a factor, Royce is a better fighter nowadays than he was 10 years ago. He hasnt kept up with the game like he should have, but hes certainly tried. His standup is better now (even though its still bad) and he actually has a double leg takedown that looks decent now (as opposed to ten years ago).

Royce had a better chance at 39 than he did at 29.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching old UFC's from the perpective of someone that knows a decent amount of BJJ, I have to say though, Royce isn't that impressive at all, sloppy takedowns, not going for the subs right away... not taking arms, legs and necks when they're obviously there and by there I mean a whitebelt would know they're their. And getting completely dominated by kimo (tell me if kimo would have thought to shave his head, he wouldn't have won, I dare you to say that) He even had trouble finishing fights that weren't shamrock the first time, delucia, and van clief. And at only a blue belt I've tapped out wrestlers in the 250 range in less than a few minutes.. Royce took 17 minutes to tap out Dan Severn (now I've rolled with dan and nowadays it's nigh impossible to tap him, but back in the day he didn't know what a sub was.) To top things off Mario Sperry IIRC said that Royce's Jiu jitsu was that of a blue belt. and if one of your fellow gracie jiu jitsu guys says that... well, you're pretty much boned.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:31 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so if Gracie is sloppy, etc.:

Then, who would be an example of an excellent BJJ practicioner in today's MMA? Are there any really good ones on UFC? What about PRIDE?

Gero

I would say that no one is unless you are in a pure BJJ match. I personally feel that MMA has evolved into an art of its own, its more than just crosstraining now.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

I'll actually agree on what shotokanwarrior stated, but great BJJ guys who do MMA would have to be Carlos Newton, BJ Penn, and of course Renzo Gracie (Is it him or Rickson that's supposed to be fighting soon?)

you saw what a person that the UFC touted as the end all be all of BJJ was able to do against a true MMA fighter.. nothing. It's sad to see a 'legend' like that lose so bad, he needed to start paying attention when people like Millitech and Couture started dominating american MMA.

Good BJJ practioner in MMA...Matt Hughes! Look at hispast few fights-Kimura on Riggs, armbar on GSP, and he destroyed Royce on the ground. He doesn't refer to his game as BJJ, but there you have it.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!