• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What kind of Royce will we see?

Let me start by letting you know my bias: I am a huge Gracie fan.

I was wondering how y'all felt about this. I believe we will see one of two different Royces in May for UFC 60

Royce A:

I worked hard on my striking so I can at least protect myself of my feet. I worked on getting a lot stronger, faster, and better conditioned. I understand that, for the first time in my life since UFC 1, I am an underdog. I understand that my opponent, Matt Hughes, will have prepared himself for my submission skills. I have trained harder than ever knowing that Matt is a great fighter and I will need to better than ever before to win.

Royce B:

Matt is smaller and weaker than opponents I have faced in the past. I haven't really changed my training much. If I could submit big guys like Shamrock or Severn, Hughes will be no problem. I don't need to have good striking skills because ground fighting is superior to stand up and I will finish my opponent on the ground. Takedowns aren't important because I can always pull guard. I don't need to worry about Matt GNPing me because he'll get careless I'll catch him with something.

I hope to see someone like Royce A, but what do you think?

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a gracie fan also. Regardless, I think he will get schooled. I don't think you will see a royce that has worked his striking. A few years ago, he told me that he doesn't consider himself an mma guy and that he really doesn't train striking. He said that he was only a bjj guy who competed in mma.

Are you sure he didn't go back on that? He showed some striking skills (not much) against Tokoro. He's definitely improved since his early days.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Royce knows he is in for a challenge..thats why he took this fight because of all the people doubting him and saying he cant hang with the new breed.

Honestly I think the burden is on Hughes in this fight. If you look at it realistically If hughes wants to take Royce down over and over again and do enough for a decision royce isint going to be able to stop him.

I will be impressed if Hughes actually knocks him out of submitts him..If he dosent then it's going to be hard to prove anything.

Do you think conditioning will be a factor? Hughes is so POWERFUL. Royce is no slouch, but the "new breed" of fighter as TJS puts it is big into conditioning. I have Royce's SUPERFIT book. There's some good stuff in there...but is he really pushing himself with his physical training? You can do all the greatest workouts in the wrold, but if you don't push yourself, you're not going to get very far.

I know this becuase this is how I wasted the first year I ever weight lifted. :(

Pump that iron, Royce! (Or bodyweight or whatever...)

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

hughes is powerful, but how many times have you seen royce get KOed? One thing I have to give him props for is that he can roll with a puch as well as a boxer. From a striking standpoint, I don't think hughes' power will be that big of a factor. this fight will be settled on the ground.

Yes, likely.

Hmmm...I just thought of something...Matt Hughes by slam KO? He's done it before, and he'll be ready for Royce's triangles and armbars. Not likely, I know, but I'm sure he's practiced slamming from the guard specifically for this fight.

Even if not a KO, what wins? Royce's slamming and submission defense or Royce's ground skill?

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Royce at his worst is twice the fighter mat huges is.royce is a true martial artis mat is just a nhb guy.Hes never face a man like royce.Even though b.jpeen lost his last fight.Lets not forget how fast he stoped mat.Royce is gunna put mat huges lights out

Royce at his worst is twice the fighter mat huges is.royce is a true martial artis mat is just a nhb guy.Hes never face a man like royce.Even though b.jpeen lost his last fight.Lets not forget how fast he stoped mat.Royce is gunna put mat huges lights out