• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

that's interesting. I actually didn't even know what three steps were until I ran into some tkd guys later into my training.

It is my understanding that the TKD adopted that from karate.

there were qigong/neigong classes at a seperate time.

For kung fu traditionalists kung fu and qiqong are inseparable.

Were there gradings, or were you just informed of your progress to the next level by your sifu?
gradings

In my kung fu training I have never taken a grading, neither in Brazil, nor in the UK. Traditional kung fu school. Good or bad? Right or Wrong? It depends on the person. However, in this case it is just tradition with its reasons.

had to build a foundation?

In many traditional schools, it could take a few years (depending on frequency of training & personal ability) before foundations are built for an student to be allowed to sparr. This is ensure that the student uses the correct kung fu stances and techniques to fight rather than, among other things, bounce around, as is so often seen in "modernized" traditional martial arts.

Any sticky hands?
yeah, but not as much as when I was in jun fan.

The building of listening/feeling abilities and softness, and their enhancement, as encompassed in Chi Sao can never be overstressed. Chi Sao should be practiced in all sessions.

Iron Palm?
yeah

At higher levels Iron Palm training is Chi Kung/Qiqong. I.e. Without correct breathing and procedures one will only harden one's hands and not much else.

no bouncing,

Thank god. :)

heavy focus on stances. but the techniques most typically used by most were basic strikes and kicks.

Even using the complex techniques should be possible without one digressing from ones roots and hence the kung fu principles that go with them. Of course, this will also depend on ones level of skill and the quality of ones instructor/school.

Was you kung fu training traditional?
I trained under a student of john tsai. it was both traditional and modern wushu.

Many kung fu traditionalists regard the modern wushu aspect of kung fu training as a weakness, in so far authenticity and/or levels of fighting effectiveness are concerned.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
I practice Shorin ryu, Shudokan, and Hung Gar simultaneously in my school, as well as Muay Thai kickboxing at another school. THough my Hung Gar training is a small percentage of my total training, I believe each art has made my practice of other arts better. I enjoy the deep stances and shifts in stances in Hung Gar, and I like the rootedness I get from karate. And Muay Thai makes me a stronger kicker and more fluid fighter.

Respectfully,

Sohan

Out of interest, did you begin your MA career with mixed training, or conentrate on one style and add others as a kind of post-graduate training?

I ask because I think I hope to be cross training soon, probably in KF and Shotokan. And if I feel up to it later Muay Thai.

Thanks always,

Tim