• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different Styles

lordtariel

They are the same and yet different. Different ways of doing things but they are all karate. IMHO

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Farifax-Uechi,

That is what I have heard about Uechi. Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn Uechi Ryu incorporate alot of Sanchin Dachi? Many of okinawan systems are higher stance and more circular espeically those that ultimately came from Naha-te. Its interesting how the Shuri-te and Naha-te systems and how they evolved to what is basically Shorin Ryu and Goju Ryu and the systems that were created from there. Thats what I love about martial arts theres always something different.

Yes, it is said that Uechi is Sanchin. All is Sanchin. Sanchin is in all. In other words, everything we do in Uechi is based on Sanchin. The great thing is that we work it and work it and work it until you're so sick of it that you just finally accept it and then just make it part of your art, then work on perfecting it and mastering it as it becomes yours. For something thats so natural it takes a long time to master (like a lifetime).

You shouldn't be doing deep "Japanese karate" stances when you're older, it wrecks havok on your back. Many, if not all of the Okinawan styles have you do the stances higher, and especially more so when you're in your 40s+. Some of the more Japanese karate styles have you do the stances higher too when you're older and higher up in rank.

Many styles of Karate have similar kihon, and even do the kata very similar, but not all. They especially do when they come from the same/similar lineage(which makes sense). Uechi ryu has lineage from a specific style of kung fu that most karate has no connection to(I think tiger boxing, if my memory is correct) is probably why it contrasts so much.

A lot of my kata roots are shito ryu which in turn has helped me go to other styles and learn their kata very quickly because the kata is very similar in goju ryu and kyokushin(from what I have trained in). I will say that some of the kihon is different in goju and kyokushin but some of it was near identical, if not identical.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

style of karate that "flows" like boxing? I would say daido juku and some of the kyokushin and offshoots..I stress "some", because not all are "flowing". I wouldn't categorize all jiu jitsu/jujutsu as "flowing", either(even though they should be). Where I train/teach now is a school with roots in Kempo and shotokan but also integrates a lot of techniques from other martial arts and would be something that I say "flows".

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

There can be a world of difference between different systems of Karate. Some are into sport, some aren't. Some do full-contact, others touch-contact. These things will make a huge difference to the techniques that are practiced and the way they're practiced.

Different systems can even emphasise completely different techniques. Many focus solely on striking techniques. By contrast, whilst ours places most emphasis on striking it also includes joint-locking, throwing and choking.

Mike

https://www.headingleykarate.org

Practical Karate for Self-Defence