• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm 13 and it's my 2nd year wrestling and i went 10-4! I'm planning on joing a wrestling club over the spring and going to a couple of camps. I was also planning on joing either Judo or brazialian jiu-jitsu with or with out the GI. I would think being taught the Judo throws would help a lot with some of the wrestling takedowns. But i was also wondering if you do ground work in Judo? Because i only want a little because it can't do it in wrestling but i would still have some knowledge in submissions. Do you think it would be best to do bjj with out the gi or Judo to help my takedowns?

P.S. I heard BJJ sucks at takedowns which isn't a good thing for me!

:D :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well, as far as my knowledge goes. Judo is how you take them to ground. Jujitsu is what you do afterwards. But it also all depends on the school too. Some judo school might have some jujitsu techniques and visa versa. When I was taking jujitsu we also had some judo techniques in there. So if you are just interested in taking people down I would say you would want Judo.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

Well since i'm gonna start greco-roman and freestyle in another week i'll learn some of the cool throws you can do with out gi's! So if i did judo then it would be like the same thing with a gi. So i'm probably going to do bjj instead to learn some submissions!

greco-roman? I've never heard of that. But it sounds like you have a good plan! I hope everything works out for you! Have fun with bjj!

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

Greco-roman is wrestling but you only can attack the waist and up so no double leg takedowns or singleg takedowns! Just throws like hip throw, shoulder throw, head lock, bear hug throws. etc.

honestly neither Judo or BJJ will help you much in wrestling competitions.

Both however will make you a better grappler especially when applied to submission wrestling or mma.

• 3 weeks later...

If you had to pick between those two I would go for Judo. Having trained in both (they are both great) but for the technical side of Wrestling Judo would serve you better. The Judo that I trained in we did do ground fighting, but I'm not sure how much of that was cross over.. but it was taught by the Judo instructor. Either way Judo is much closer using the whole body like wrestling.

~BBB

Training 14 years

Kalkinodo Blackbelt