• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring techniques??

Karate_Kid2

At the moment in my club we are preparing for a trip away to a big tournament, it is only a month and a half away and I am very concerned about the sparring end of things.

I am currently a brown belt and have only been competing for roughly 3yrs. But that has been in the junior section of competitions, when we go away it will be my first time to fight in the senior section. But at the moment there is very little interest in sparring in my club amoung the senior classes, I am always sparring juniors when I am training and feel I am getting nowhere.

Does anybody know if there is a way in which I could improve my sparring even if it is just a little, at this stage I am desperate for some advice as I cant get any from my own club at this moment in time?? Any replies would be greatly appriciated.

Respects Karate_Kid2[/b]

"a one sided martial artist, is a blind martial artist"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Talk to your sensei and get yourself three or four combonations and practice the living tar out of them. Some of the best fighters in the world spend more time on drills than on anything else.

Good Luck,

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

That is some good advice and I would like to use it, but I wouldnt feel I could speak to my sensei about this matter, he generally just gives yoou a quick answer but never really helps you with the problem, he is more interested in helping the students that he has more of a "click" with, if you know what I mean?

"a one sided martial artist, is a blind martial artist"

simply practicing combos- especially the same ones repeatedly - will not help your sparring much. It will help you get used to throwing those combos, but what happens when it's countered? especially using the same ones - your opponents will read and time you. the way to get better at sparring is to spar. Ask your sensei if he will spar with you. If he will not and all the seniors refuse, then keep sparring with the juniors - it's better than nothing, as you are still sparring.

when you spar them, pick something specific to work on and focus on using it. that will make it more of a challenge for you, as instead of merely winning, you are focusing on a specific thing to use. For example, if you want to work sidestepping a reverse punch, make a consious effort to sidestep EVERY reverse punch that is thrown at you. naturally, you won't be able to sidestep them all, but you will have plenty of pracitce. each time you spar, have a goal like this. You will improve.

As a last resort, approach other clubs. find a boxing or thai boxing gym to spar at - they spar and will likely be glad to have you spar with them.

Keep asking your Sensei. If he still shows no interest then it is probably time for you to find another club.

If you are paying to go away to a big tournament but your instructor is only bothered about the students he "clicks" with then he isn't much of an instructor IMO. A good istructor will help and train ALL his students.

If your instructor is that bothered about you all entering this big competition then he should be bothered about helping you with it as well.

As for the senior students in your club, as them if they will help you prepare for the tournament. If you ask politely and show them that you are serious about training hard and doing well then they may be prepared to help you in your sparring.

If you have a heavy bag to practice with then use it. It will help you to practice combo's on, as well as getting you used to hitting something more solid.

Good luck!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I agree with WhiteFeather and aefibird. If you concentrate on two or three max techniques, and practise them in "all" possible variations, you should do pretty darn good in the tourney. This is what the world champions do to prepare for tourneys... Which technique? This is more of an indivual decision of what fits your style and strengths. This is where I can not help you. Your instructor should be helping you on this part, and if not, like aefibird said, ask some of the other seniors to assist you. If you approach the seniors like your "stuff doesn't stink," they're not going to offer help. If you ask to truly want to learn, they will normally help.

If your instructor is truly "clickish," then he is really a bad instructor and you should find another instructor...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Osu Karate_Kid2,

If you have been training for 3 years , and you are finding it difficult to communicate with your instructor then this is a major problem for not only you but i am sure that if you are in this position at your dojo, then their are probably others as well.

If this is too difficult for your teacher to communicate with you, what will happen when you are training for your Black Belt?

I have to agree with aefibird on this one, as things like may do not improve and a new Club/Style should possibly be considered, even if it is in the back of your mind.

An instructors job/responsibility is to improve the charecteristics of the participants and one of these is knowing and demonstrating on "all" occasions that the ability to communicate information to students is very important.

If he cannot communicate to you what yours needs are when he is in the dojo.

How on earth will he be able to do so when you are competing when their "is" actuale pressure on him?

Lets not forget at the end of the day when you compete, you do not do so only in your name, wether you like it or not, you are also competing for your family name, your fellow students, your instructor and your dojo or club

Osu