• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bo staff enthusiast

I've been studying the bo for the past three years, and I feel like I have barely scraped the surface of what is capable with this weapon. Can anyone give me links to sites w/ advanced techniques or tutorials on how to effectively use the bo? Any tips would be welcome too!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am right there with you. I am pretty good with the bo as far as flashy moves go. But i'm not combat effective with it. I guess the best advice would be (which is what I do with the sword and I'm better with it), is don't worry about spinning the bo get your self think like you were sparring and shadow spar with bo. Imagine different attacks coming at you. Pretend to block and counter. It's also really helpful if you have a bag (standing up or hanging) it helps give you an idea of your spacing and how far through you can actually carry a strike. Even if you don't really hit the bag.

Also, if you have someone you can work with you can do one-step-drills and so on. Even some light or no contact sparring.

IMO, the hardest part (to learn and practice) about a wepeaon is being able to use it combat effectively. Good luck! I hope I helped. :karate:

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

break your forms down and make sure you understand the techniques within them, and can apply them accordingly, and where most effective.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

you can try hinding the bos length in a stance also try looking up Kikishen ryu thats a ryuha known for it bojutsu

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

My sensei has these great padded staves and sometimes he'll let us wail on a partner with. I've also used 6 foot lengths of 3/4" pvc, a heavy winter jacket, a 3-weapon mask and some padded gloves. The cool thing about the pvc is that it can take blows from a shinai, so you can practice against swords with it, but it's flexible and won't feel the same as a good hardwood bo.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Bob I think your best bet would be to ask your sensei about this. I see that you study Okinawa Kenpo (a good art if I do say so myself :)) Could it be possible that you study under Hanshi Heilman or another IKKF instructor? I can say from experiance that they are very well versed in some of the most creative and advanced bunkai, you really should ask them.

"You all come from different instructors, so as I look around the room I may see many different

ways of preforming this kata, however, if you are turning left and I turn right, we have a problem."

-Renshi Thomas Apsokardu (Godan, Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo Koryu Kan)

Matthew Sullivan

Bob I think your best bet would be to ask your sensei about this. I see that you study Okinawa Kenpo (a good art if I do say so myself :)) Could it be possible that you study under Hanshi Heilman or another IKKF instructor? I can say from experiance that they are very well versed in some of the most creative and advanced bunkai, you really should ask them.

Good advice. I'll get back to you on that...... :)

Just recently I bought A foam Bo staff from AWMA and Im trying to teach myself. The problem is that I have not a clue of what Im doing, I do, but then I really dont but.

But anyway, I stay in Detroit and there no school Local that teaches how to use the Bo. Can anyone give advice on the things I should connsider, and will Videos/DVDs help...if so which one.

Well for starters, make sure you hold the bo in thirds, if your right handed you'd generally keep your right hand up, and your left down. sorry if this is really basic, but I don't know how far along you are.

I suggest trying to find someone you know who uses the bo, or for a last resort use a training video. I don't recommend them, but they can be rather handy.