• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hobby?

younwhadoug

As for Bruce Lee being the Cha Cha Champion...I definitely had not heard of that before.

He indeed was. Hong Kong, 1958 Crown Colony Cha-Cha Champion. From Page 29 of Bruce Lee--Fighting Spirit, Bruce Thomas, author.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it quite strange how in the US you have so many "bands" but so little proper repertoire symphony orchestras... although I guess that's what you mean by "symphonic flute"?

We have no proper orchestra at our school. All we have are the woodwinds, brass, and percussion, but no stringed instruments. I believe the last time my high school had an orchestra was way back in 1940 or so.

By "symphonic flute", I mean I play in the upper level band. My high school has two bands, the concert band and the symphonic band. Concert band plays lower level, easier pieces, and is filled with the average high school musicians. Symphonic band is the "gifted" band, for the high schoolers who are exceptional for their age, and we get the harder pieces of music. It also means we get a lot expected of us, at all times.

And while the horn might be fun and easy to play....I love my flute. Besides that, I'm determined to beat the first chair flute one day...She and I have competed for years, and she proceeds to beat me every single time.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Do you not have a regional conservatoire or something where you can play "proper" music in a symphony orchestra? not to be snobbish or anything having played loads of wind band stuff none compares to Brahms 1 ;)

Especially not the flute parts (solo in 2nd mvt is unequaled as far as I'm concerned)! But yeah wind band stuff is great fun, good luck with flute 1, I know just how hard it can be to make it there! Politics is everything, skill often has little to do with position... Have you played under Glen Price? I hear the guy's quite famous over the pond, and he is a dude! He could down a pint of guinness faster than the tubas could..

Right I think we've taken over the thread now. Sorry people.

We should probably start a music thread....

But anyways, as far as I am aware, no, we don't have a real symphony orchestra. I'd really like to play in one at some point, I remember how nice all the stringed instruments sound, and it really and truly is some of the most beautiful music.

I'll type more later, I have to go run before Mom has my head...

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Yeah, he won first place in a CHA CHA contest, I think it was in Hong Kong when he was younger. He made a deal with a dance teacher I think that he would give him free martial arts lessons while he got free dance lessons. It worked out bad for the dance coach because Bruce picked up the CHA CHA really fast and the dance guy didn't get much time to learn martial arts. I can post more specifics on this if anyone cares.

I miss my trumpet, haven't played it since I left school in '92.

Not having my flute would make me miserable. Heck, I am miserable. My flute's locked up in the bandroom, of all places...Well, Sensei Dave, if you come out here during June, I'll borrow my trumpet from the school so you can play it. If you can still play, of course.

For other hobbies I'm not very active:

I've played the harmonica for some several years, I was simply self-taught.

I started playing the trombone about 7 years ago, I continue playing it today, especially in Jazz Bands.

I practice calligraphy...not so talented though :( .

And finally for the hobbies, In the summer if I have time I build stuff. Anything really, sheds, fences, or anything I can get hired for. I think thats it, but I'm probably forgetting something.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I think I still remember most of the fingerings for the trumpet scales. Been over 15 years now! Damn! Anyway, I have tons of hobbies- Martial arts (more of a lifestyle than a hobbie for me), hiking, rambling, sightseeing, reading, writing, collecting Star Wars stuff, swimming, moonbathing, photography, genealogy, and a few others. I am surprised I ever get any work done.