• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started kickboxing at age 28(had a backround in JKd before that) and after 3 months of intensive training, entered my 1st tournament (full contact San Shou) where I was banging away with these 18-21 year olds and won. Come to think of it...I never started JKD till I was 22 years old, so really 21 is young......

I was like you, earning my TKD black belt at 16, I went on to do a bit of MT and kyokushin, but I stopped training for 7 years, before getting back into it. I didnt get back into Muay Thai again till I was 30! I'm 35 now and competing seriously. I've given up any hope of turning pro, but there are some very tough amature MMA comps here that give me more than a challenge. After 30 I noticed a dramatic change in my ability to recover. Injuries tend to mount up easily, and work and family committments make it hard. But I think I can keep competing till my early 40s. I met a guy in Thailand who was 50 and still giving the young guns a run for their money.

21? You lucky young #***! I wish I got back into it when I was 21!

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

Wow I guess you got your answer. Good luck in training and never let your age stop you from doing anything. Don't look backwards in life and say "I wish......" Just go and do it! Kind of sounds like a Nike commercial. :lol:

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 2 weeks later...
I keep wondering why this kids in there early 20's thinks they are too old for anything?? lol

Nowadays, at least in the US, top-shelf athletes begin developing their skills at a very early age. The athletes that begin later are much like children beginning school later---they're that much behind. Few get to the top competitive levels without having years of skill development and training behind them. Could one start kickboxing at 25 and get in great shape, defend themself, and perhaps even compete in a few local tournaments successfully? Sure. Can one make a successful professional living against other competitors who began at 10 or 12? Not likely, though there are exceptions.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I keep wondering why this kids in there early 20's thinks they are too old for anything?? lol

Nowadays, at least in the US, top-shelf athletes begin developing their skills at a very early age. The athletes that begin later are much like children beginning school later---they're that much behind. Few get to the top competitive levels without having years of skill development and training behind them. Could one start kickboxing at 25 and get in great shape, defend themself, and perhaps even compete in a few local tournaments successfully? Sure. Can one make a successful professional living against other competitors who began at 10 or 12? Not likely, though there are exceptions.

Respectfully,

Sohan

yeah, what this dude said

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My teacher put a newspaper clipping up on the dojo wall the other day. A good friend of his, Mr Ono, just won the Japanese feather weight Kickboxing title.

He started training at 29 and now ten years later hes the champion at 39.

Never give up on your dreams.

Or you risk spending your life wondering if you could have done it, and feeling the emptiness and regret of never having tried.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

What the guys said is true , beside , u do not have to compete in professional bouts , try local and international amateur level tournaments first and if u are not satisfied with that then u can fight professionally .

you'll be surprised of how hard an amateur tournament can be :brow:

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike