• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you could do it over.....

If you had the knowledge you have now when you started ma training what would you do different?

Would you choose the same style?

Would you choose the same school?

Would you go for a different reason such as art over self defense?

Me? I have enjoyed the journey so far. Even when I was in TKD it was fun. I still use high kicks when the opportunity presents itself.(psst,goju guys aren't used to this and you can catch them off guard sometimes,hehee)

I'd have to say I'd do it the same,but I'd try and spend more time with it.

:karate:

In this life of mine I have seen nothing, known nothing or no one,not even myself or my God,that has not been both hard and soft.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had the same understanding of things that I do now and if I had the money to do it I would train for a few years in Japan directly under a specific master or one if his Godans...if I was lucky enough to be permitted to do so.

If I did not have the money (which I probably would not) I would have trained under my intial instructor and trained in Akido and Judo shortly after beginning karate training.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

My answer will change from this post occasionaly the more I learn, however for now I wish had been more focused in the dojo in my early beginning training. I would have also participated in more tournaments, and also I wished I had started training at home more often back when I was unmotivated.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

My answer will change from this post occasionaly the more I learn, however for now I wish had been more focused in the dojo in my early beginning training. I would have also participated in more tournaments, and also I wished I had started training at home more often back when I was unmotivated.

that is also a regret of mine. I started when i was 13. Though I liked training, I didn't dedicate myself to my practice as much as I should have.

If I could go back I would probably stick with the same dojo (as it was a good school when I started. It's gone downhill now), but practice harder.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

I like my martial arts journey- I don't think I'd like to have changed anything. I took some time off, but it allowed me to really appreciated what MA does for me. I had a very good beginning art, and am really enjoying advancing in my newer ones!:)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

If you had the knowledge you have now when you started ma training what would you do different?

Would you choose the same style?

Would you choose the same school?

Would you go for a different reason such as art over self defense?

I would have liked to start training sooner, but it wasn't ment to be. Also, I probably wouldn't have studied Uechi as the thought of all of the body conditioning would have scared me off.

Although I changed from style to style and school to school before I finally found the style that suited me (Kajukenbo), I have no regrets about my previous training because I learned something good from every school that I trained in. There are many areas of martial arts that I wish I was better in but that doesn't make me regret the past, it just makes me look forward to the future.

What works works

Echoing what Pineapple said, I've learned something from all my instructors whether they were good teachers or not so. Even if its what NOT to do!

I also remember things that I didn't like and I also learned what not to do.

What works works

I would have started training in my dojo earlier. I had known about the dojo for years and had always wanted to take classes, but waited for a long time to start. That is my regret. I love Shotokan and think that the instructor I have is awesome at what he does, so I would not change the style or instructor.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.