• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

license help/organisation help

Col.h

i havent done shotokan for 22 years( since i was 15).I achieved brown belt status (3rd kyu).I also held a KUGB license.

I now am looking to start again to get fit but i have a few questions to ask if i may.

i have found my grading booklet all signed and dated to 3rd kyu.

Can i join any organisation as it seems there are quite a few different ones?

Do i have to pay back licenses?

Does the brown belt still uphold?

help? :D

Col

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am not sure if the brown belt would hold up after all this time. That being said it think that it would depend on a number of things which the potential instructor could fill you in on. The instructor may request that you test to a point to determine the level you are at. I'd look into the different organizations and ask. The best of luck to you

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Have you been training on your own in that 20+ years? Meaning, do you think you deserve to wear your brown belt if you haven't been training in that off-time?

A long time ago I did a style of Kung Fu for years but I would never dream of going into a Kung Fu school wearing that sash...I haven't been training in Kung Fu in about 15 years.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

I agree with powerof0ne, you first need to ask yourself if you still deserve that rank you held before asking the instructor if he'll allow it.

"You all come from different instructors, so as I look around the room I may see many different

ways of preforming this kata, however, if you are turning left and I turn right, we have a problem."

-Renshi Thomas Apsokardu (Godan, Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo Koryu Kan)

Matthew Sullivan

Personally, after that much time away from the art, I would go in as a white belt. Try not get discouraged though. Let the head instructor know that you once trained and earned Brown belt. You may find that you remember more than you thought and advance quickly.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

thanx for replies all.your right,i would feel like a charlatan wearing the brown belt.

ive started training with a 6th dan at shotokan,SKI.he has said that he sees me at brown belt in 6 months time ,training 2/3 times per week.it seemed strange running through all the katas,if i tried to remember i got them wrong,if i didnt think it just came naturally lol.he will get my license stamped to brown belt when he sees me as a brown belt

once again thanx

ive started training with a 6th dan at shotokan,SKI.

Col, who is that if you don't mind me asking? My own instructor is ex-SKI and trained extensively with Mr Asano, plus a whole boatload of other SKI people.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

ive started training with a 6th dan at shotokan,SKI.

Col, who is that if you don't mind me asking? My own instructor is ex-SKI and trained extensively with Mr Asano, plus a whole boatload of other SKI people.

hi mate,his name is Kevin Clark from Blackburn.they are having a grading today with Mr Asono and i am going training with them and being introduced to Hanshi Asano to discuss the change of organisation and the belt issues.

thank you

Col

thanx for replies all.your right,i would feel like a charlatan wearing the brown belt.

ive started training with a 6th dan at shotokan,SKI.he has said that he sees me at brown belt in 6 months time ,training 2/3 times per week.it seemed strange running through all the katas,if i tried to remember i got them wrong,if i didnt think it just came naturally lol.he will get my license stamped to brown belt when he sees me as a brown belt

once again thanx

That sounds very resonable, and it sounds like you have a great attitude. Best of luck and keep us posted. As you relearn/remember stuff, you'll find new enjoyment in your art.