• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What to look for?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I didn't just sit and watch a class. I actually went and took trial memberships with different dojo's. It took awhile but I found the school I was after. Know specifically what you are looking for. I did not want a garage dojo instructor. I wanted to go to a well established dojo that would not close up after I had gotten my blue belt. (Unfortunately, it happens too often). I did not want an instructor who took a few years of this style, a few years of that style .... and then incorporate it into his/her own version of a Martial Art. Ultimately I found a well established shotokan school, with a very experienced 7th dan instructor who only ranked in shotokan. Now I am not saying he didn't dabble in other styles, he only teaches traditional shotokan. I am very happy with my decision. I was lucky to have several places to go and participate in their trial memberships before making a wise decision.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

i didnt want an instructor who talked about how good he was. i was lucky to have stumbled upon younwha through a flyer at my sons school. they have a main hq for there division and about 15 instructors teaching at comunity centers and elementary schools and churches. my instructor trained them all and it shows. he cares about my state of mind when i enter, he asks how i feel physically, he doesnt give up on someone as long as they attend and he is great at teaching children. he charges according to the economy of that neighborhood. he loves a challenging student, he loves teaching handicapped students at the same rate and in the same class as everyone. the class progresses together and helps eachother to improve. it is a family inviroment. these are all things i would look for if i were to go elsewhere (wich i would not) hope that helps

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

As Jaymac said, first you have to decide what is important to you. That's the hard part.

As far as his skill as an structor, look at his senior students. Ask yourself if you want to perform like they do.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

Something I look for is both professionalism and teaching ability. Regardless of the experience that person has, if they can't teach and interact well I tend to avoid that person.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I look to see how the school looks, how the people are, how I'm treated is important. Then I look to see how the classes are taught. Who teaches them. (Top instructor, black belt students), how good the teacher is. Just regular stuff i guess.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

It is essential to check out several schools to have something to compare the instructors with. Basically, like whats-his-name said above, look at the long-timers, usually only the blackbelts, and see if you want to be like them. Secondly, try to watch how the instructor can adapt his/her teaching style. This is very important. If an instructor can quickly and seamlessly change his/her teaching style for each student, then that is a good instructor. Lastly, try to figure out what the intructor's character is like. You want an instructor that is humble, knowledgable, in possesion of solid leadership skills, and, most important over all other criteria, you want an instructor that is there for the students. Hope you find a good dojo.

Good Luck,

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

As Jaymac said, first you have to decide what is important to you. That's the hard part.

Funny you should say that. I figured out what I wanted by eliminating all that I didn't want. High Kicks, MMA, sport MA, etc. When I was done, I found Uechi which worked out perfect.