BJJ + Judo = crazy grapplier?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes- they go well together. They are very similar but also very diffrent...Each one fills in the weaknesses of the other and does it in a similar enough manner that they integrate well.

I, also, train in both. My club does both, and everyone seems to be a big fan. I'm a big fan because of what BJJ had done for my Judo, and a lot of other people like what the Judo has done for their BJJ :) They complement each others' weaknesses nicely and it's really nice to play standing with Judo rules and on the ground with BJJ, so the matches can go a long time and you get to work on your endurance for both :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed with everyone else. BJJ and Judo are a good mix. I just got to the point in BJJ where I start learning takedowns, and there is an older guy in our class who used to do Judo, and his understanding of how to use leverage and balance standing up is so far advanced over anyone else in our class. I'm lucky I got a little bit of Hapkido in my TKD training, or I'd be completely overwhlemed by him in stand up grappling. He still kicks my butt when we start from a standing position, so I've been trying to get him to go NHB with me and add striking too. :brow: He's not biting though. :( He's too smart for that.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• 2 weeks later...

Some Muay Thai skills would be better to add if you want to be a complete fighter. If you just want to grapple, fine, but it may not be enough for street defense.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu