• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice needed regarding my first tournament

A. Orstrom

Hello all,

I am considering competing in my first tournament, scheduled the 8th of April. The tournament is the closest thing to a "beginner's tournament" we have in Danish Kyokushin karate, and it is targeted at 9th through 7th kyu. In order to graduate later on you have to have competed in a certain number of tournaments.

The thing is: I have not been training in our kumite classes as often as I should have, and I don't feel quite as up to it as some of the others on the kumite team, so I am a bit apprehensive of competing. BUT I am 7th kyu now, and this tournament is held once a year only; in a year I will most likely be at least 6 kyu. (I will probably get to compete, but I will be out of the target group) I am having a hard time deciding what to do, here are my thoughts:

1, I will do my utmost until the tournament and compete. I will try my best, most likely losing the first fight, but I will have learned what it means to be in a tournament, overcome some of my anxiety and I will have gained practical experience.

2, I will train hard with the rest of the kumite class but I will wait until the next tournament. I will then be able to compete when I am 100% ready (or as ready as you can hope to be the first time)

I must admit that I am leaning towards the first option. I want to get out there and try my best, getting some practical experience and experiencing what it is like to compete.

I have asked my trainers and the first said I should train hard until the deadline and then decide. The other said that I should definitely do it and just take the inevitable beatings in the first round.

What do you think? I would like to compete, but I would also like to have a good first-time experience with tournaments. Besides, I want to be worthy of representing my dojo.

I would really appreciate your input.

Additional info: The competition is semi-contact. All kicks/punches to the torso, roundhouse kicks (not full-contact) to the head allowed. Points are scored by shaking or knocking the opponent down (torso) or by scoring a clean hit with a mawashi geri to the head. First point wins the fight

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i think you need more confidence. you will probably compete against students of your rank or close to it. you all have the same knowledge of technique and kicks and punches. find out if backfists are legal. if the guy you compete with is competing for the first time, he probably won't expect a back fist to the chest while you side step or spin. tournements are for learning so go there with an open mind and ready to make new friends. everyone wants to win only a few will.... you have just as much chance as any if you keep your cool and remember your training. dont just take the beating. try to use what you know to win. guard your head as much as possible and try to stay up straight. i'm in tkd so this may or may not be of any value to you. i find that a low fighting stance allows me to block easier and react quicker. dont try to keep your distance, use fighting patterns not just one kick or punch at a time. most of all have fun. good luck and remember good sportsmanship.

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

Orstrom- you're making a big mistake already, by saying you are probably going to lose then you probably will. dont look at any fight as winning or losing just give it more then your best (150%). and i dont know what kinda trainers you got, saying to take the beatings you are going to get? but they dont sound very helpful to me. really you shouldnt listen to anyone but yourself, keep in your mind that you need to train beyond anything you have every done before and you need to give everything you got.

you should definitely compete at the tourney, if you lose you lose who cares, as a fighter you have to learn the humilty of defeat and how to deal with it. if you win great but dont think you are a great fighter, a lot of people have the problem of believing they are the greatest after winning then they lose the next fight. just keep training.

the only thing i can say that would definitely benefit you is you need to practice kumite, thats the only way you will get better, practice in class, at home with a family member or friend just practice practice practice

younwhadoug- i like what you said about more than one attack, Orstrom- you need to keep attacking but make sure you defend yourself, throw combos (jab, cross, roundhouse) and make sure you fake and set up moves (fake a jab to the head then throw a quick cross to the body) make sure you stay on the balls of your feet and stay mobile, if you just stand there your going to get hit. dont stay close to your opponent, attack with a few techniques and back off. if you stay close your going to get hit. i have fought many fights and have noticed that you should keep distance from you opponent until you are ready to attack, then back off when yo are done

i hope i helped, good luck and have fun

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

Go for it. It is a learning experience and very good for your training. Definitely have more confidence in yourself. Just go and have fun. Cause tournaments are a blast.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

*snip*

i dont know what kinda trainers you got, saying to take the beatings you are going to get? but they dont sound very helpful to me.

*snip*

The "taking the inevitable beatings" is my own paraphrase of his words. None of my trainers said, or even implied that I would lose, I was just trying to make it clear to them that if I was going to compete, it would be for the experience, and not because I wanted to win the tournament.

Thank you for your great replies, they do strengthen my resolve to get out there and give it all that I've got. The things you've said have made me think and I will be sure to remember them. Thanks a lot.

That doesn't mean that others can't join in the discussion, of course :P , please don't stop replying now :)

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

consider trying to keep your eyes on his face, i find that if i stare at the chest protecter to much i end up not seeing the kicks to the head as well. some good fighting paterns in my first tournement that helped me were these:

front snap kick, jab, cross, round house

jab, cross, round house, back kick

jab, cross, switch feet, side kick quickly

i don't know they are basic but they really helped me. you throw out fighting patterns knowing he probably will block the first and maybe second strikes and while his guard is distracted land the last one or two. it won't work every time (specially if you use the same fighting pattern over and over)

but it is way better than throwing one kick and backing away. use the first minute to feel out the guys style and the next to use it agianst him. if he fights with only his legs, let him kick ya, block if you can but mainly get inside of kicks up close and start a fighting pattern. i'm sure you have em in your system. i didn't mean for this to be so long and i don't think i know everything. but i think this advice will help. give it some thought and get more opinions

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

also....sorry.... representing your system and association has nothing to do with winning..... its how you act afterwards, win or lose. good sportsmanship is the best way to show your enthusiasm and shows what your school values are.

Is there going to be kata in your tournament? Perhaps if you are concerned about sparring this would be a more relaxed alternative. If you are concerned, talk to your sensei. With my school, if you don't want to compete in the tournament, you can take part through helping as an assistant, referee, ect. That being said, you're most likely not going to be competing with higher ranked competitors, so this is your only chance to get experience at a beginner level. Next year you would could competing with people that already had experience in the tournaments, while you won't.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I competed, although in a later (and a bit more advanced) tournament.

The rules were the same, but it was the Danish championships.

As I feared, I got my ... kicked (pardon my french) very quickly, but my opponent went on and is now the new Danish champion, so I'm not too hurt :lol:

It hurt as hell when I was in there, I had ice on my arm for three hours, and my neck hurts from a solid roundhouse kick to the head, but I'm proud I participated and the entire day was a great experience. One of the others captured the fight on video, so I am looking forward to watch it and learn from my mistakes. I will definitely do it again, although I will compete in the other tournament next time.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson