• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hai or Osu?

RichardHangHong

I've heard a couple of different explanations but thought I'd ask the question here.

Some styles respond to commands with Hai, whilst others use Osu.

What's the difference between Hai and Osu?

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We say "Hai" it supposedly means Yes in Japanese. I have heard many different things about "Osu". So I am not exactly sure of its meaning. We had a Japanese teacher tell us that it was considered very disrespectful and that Westerner karate practitioners overuse it, misuse it, and do not even know what they are talking about. He never went into the exact meaning of the word because it made him mad.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

In my Aikido days we used "hai", in my kyokushinkai class we use osu. Osu is, as far as I understand, a variation of the verb "to push" signalling that the student has understood and will do his best to comply/excel.

In about half a year I will hopefully be studying japanese at the university and then I'll get back to you :)

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Osu, (Greetings)

As stated the term Hai refers to yes or i understand.

However the term "Osu" is used in and for a completly different reason

Osu is made up of two kanji, "o" meaning to "push" which symbolizes one hundred percent effort and "su" means to "endure". Combined, "osu" is a pledge to do one's best and endure.

In other terms Osu = To perservere whilst being pushed!

Osu,

https://www.marktysondojo.com

Use of the word "osu" is sometimes a controversial subject in the martial art's (MA) community, as shown in this thread on another MA forum: http://www.budoseek.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14059.

From what I understand, in Kyokushin and most Kyokushin-related styles (like Enshin) in the west or in Japan, "osu" is the preferred word for "yes," "I hear you," "I understand," "no problem," "hello, fellow karate-ka," "goodbye," etc. I've heard that it is short for, "Oshi shinobu" which means what Sensei Mark says in his post.

It seems that many Japanese and others who aren't aware of where the word comes from for Kyokushin practitioners believe it's a contraction of "Ohayo Gozaimas" (good morning) or "otsu-kara-sama-deshita" (good job/it was nice doing something with you). Therefore, they believe that it's use in that sense is unmannered and crude.

Hai = yes as stated.

Osu = Japanese slang, not fit for "proper" conversation, The only style I've really seen it used in universally is Kyokushin. And remember it's founder was a Korean, and a rather tough one at that. But not exactly a upper class Japanese man, especially considering the Japan / Korea relation at the time.

As a general rule the Japanese spoke in Western martial arts schools is misinterpreted, missused and mispronounced.

Consider what you would think if you went to Japan and came across a group of Japanese practicing boxing, trying to use English terms...

Yabu Yabu karosu...

kipu handu upu!

That's about what we look like when we try to do it ;)

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Osu, (Greetings)

As stated the term Hai refers to yes or i understand.

However the term "Osu" is used in and for a completly different reason

Osu is made up of two kanji, "o" meaning to "push" which symbolizes one hundred percent effort and "su" means to "endure". Combined, "osu" is a pledge to do one's best and endure.

In other terms Osu = To perservere whilst being pushed!

Osu,

https://www.marktysondojo.com

Ahh, that's it.

Thanks for clearing that up, I knew it was something like that :P

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Interesting, but largely misinformed. "Osu" means push, and is the root form of the verb. A polite conjugation would be "oshimasu." So to say "osu" in polite company when you should be saying "oshimasu," would be a break in protocol. It would also be wrong to say "osu" in polite company, when what you really want to say is "good morning," or some other greeting.

"Osu" in some karate dojo, notably Kyokushinkai, is entirely appropriate. It is, as some have pointed out a contraction of Oshi shinobu- which loosley translated means to perservere, to never give up. This is a common concept in Japanese society and not at all rude. In a kyokushin karate dojo, and some others, it is jargon, for yes, I understand, I'll try harder,hello, good-bye, cheers, aloha. It's part of the Kyokushinkai karate culture. You either get it, or you don't.

If you don't get it don't use it. "Hai" is Japanese for yes and works in all contexts.

• 3 weeks later...

In the dojo i train in, i tend to use "osu" when i engaged a formal conversation with Sensei, Dans and Kyu's. Also as a formal acknowledgement.

I use the term "Hai" to show i understand what has been said, either if it is a technique shown or a theroietical issue.

Osu