• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

getting hurt in a tournement

Speaking of ribs. Two days before my first ever tournament we had a competitor come down early for the tournament. He came to a class and gave us underbelts some sparring lessons. I made the mistake of running straight into a sidekick. It was more painful than any kick I've ever received. Two days latter I'm at the tournament having to fight someone 6 to 8 inches taller and 50 to 70 lbs heavier. He landed a hard sidekick in the exact spot as the other guy had kicked me. At this point he had me down three poins to none with fifty-eight seconds remaining. I ignored the pain and went on the attack. I scored four unanswered points to win first place. I think I have some broke ribs but I have not had x-rays to see.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My worst injury at a tournament was one of my first in the ATA. I noticed that my opponent would low X block every time I brought my foot up in a front kick type prep.

So, I went to do a jump round kick, prepping it like a front kick. He X blocked, and up comes the round kick for a sure 3 points (Jump kick to head is 3 points in ATA sparring).

However, he sees the round kick, and starts bringing his hands up to block it. Unfortunately, he caught my lower foot, and ended up just turning me upside down in the air, and I came down on my head and shoulder.

Thankfully, no serious injury (Other than being a bit loopier than normal for a minute or two), I finished the match (Still can't remember if I won or lost), and spent the next week icing my shoulder and going "Wow. Now THAT is a bruise!"

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I got side kicked in the face at a point tournament as a 1st degree in the ATA. I was fortunate, because it was the last point he needed to win, and when I got to the restroom, the blood flowed.

It made me mad more than it hurt, and once I got kicked, I could feel that it was going to bleed. If the match wouldn't have been over with, then I would have had blood all over my uniform.

I got side kicked in the face at a point tournament as a 1st degree in the ATA. I was fortunate, because it was the last point he needed to win, and when I got to the restroom, the blood flowed.

It made me mad more than it hurt, and once I got kicked, I could feel that it was going to bleed. If the match wouldn't have been over with, then I would have had blood all over my uniform.

Blood on the uniform is no big deal. Just get hydrogen peroxide and pour it on the spots. It will bubble out the blood, then just give it a good washing.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

It's not terrible but the only time I've been hurt was when I took a front kick to the sternum when I was first starting karate by someone much bigger than me. knocked the wind right out of me. I didn't fall over though :) Took a concussion in judo though during a tournament.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1