• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Really Important Karate Styles

Kyle Bryant

I'm going for my 1st Dan Black Belt in Shotokan this Summer... before i can test or do the 2 pretests i have to do some paperwork.... i need to know which karate style doesn't use the practice of Katas, plz answer!

[ This Message was edited by: Patrick on 2002-04-14 14:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kyle bryant on 2002-04-17 16:48 ]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyle

Many styles of karate don't practise kata. This is purely because the instructors have thought that kata is 'useless'.

It's quite funny really - my instructor and I went to teach a seminar in Surrey a few weeks ago. They didn't practise kata, or bow, or yoi, or do ippon kihon kumite......the list goes on.......

So in conclusion, many 'new', or 'modern' styles of karate dont practise kata.

I can't think of a 'true', or 'traditional' style that doesn't practise kata, but i could be wrong - AnonOne help me out here!!!!!

Cya

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

I have never heard of a tradional Japanese/Okinawan karate style that does not practice kata. It is usually renegade clubs who do not belong to associations or claim to be a tradition based style that would not do kata.

On 2002-04-14 17:23, SaiFightsMS wrote:

I have never heard of a tradional Japanese/Okinawan karate style that does not practice kata.

I havn't either, but if you are looking for "martial arts in general" that don't use forms then Judo and Ju-Jitsu and Aikijujitsu would fall under that catagory.

Originally, Hapkido is another one that doesn't use forms, although it's Korean it does have roots in Japan. The founder of Hapkido, Choi Yong Sul didn't teach forms. Any forms taught today in Hapkido were included by his students after and/or their students after them.

Hope this helps & good luck on your test, Kyle!. :smile:

Take care

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

Boxing and wrestling are martial arts that dont use kata.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

"So in conclusion, many 'new', or 'modern' styles of karate dont practise kata"

I'm just wondering... did the original "okinawa-te" have kata? OR was it something that was imported from China, and incorporated into "China Hand".

Sumo would be a Japanese martial art without kata... not karate but since people are mentioning boxing and like...

KarateForums.com - Sempai