• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been in tang soo do for many years, and i love it and feel that i would have no problem handling myself. we are a 'hard' style which can sort of be translated into something like this:

our blocks and anything else we do are so lethal, hard, fast, and strong things like blocks become as devastationg as strikes. not to mention we are a kicking style, we love to do that alot too!

any more questions just ask, i love blabbing about tsd, but again its great! good luck

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

Our school also supports the "blocks are strikes, and strikes are blocks" maxim in our approach to training. However, you can also find the soft side of TKD in forms and self-defense training as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken TSD for about 14 years and I definately think I would also do pretty when in a self defense situation. AS its been said (probably about a million times in these forums) effectiveness will be gained through proper training and is depended on instruction and your effort not nessicarily the style.

Tang Soo!

this art is very good depending on the teacher. i am a 7th gup and i know enough to become a 5th gup.

Tang Soo Do is very similar to the Shotokan Karate that I practice. Most of the forms are the same. Thus, I can safely say from my own experience, that if it's taught right it's a a very good all around system of martial arts, giving you good techniques, a great workout and is extremely fun to train in.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

• 3 weeks later...

It also seems very similar to ITF-style TKD. In some respects, it looks like GM Choi cut and spliced TSD forms to create his TKD forms. My son and I studied ITF-style TKD for about 6 years. When our school went out of business, he started over in a TSD school. The striking techniques are very similar. The only large difference I noted was that the TSD folds in preparation for blocks were typically deeper thus making the blocks perhaps a bit more forceful, but also a bit slower.

Well, there are so many aspects here that you have to think about. Some instructors can teach some things well, and not others. Competitive sparring is an example. But it doesn't necessarily mean it will transfer well to all areas, like self-defense.

• 4 weeks later...
It's not that any particular style is more or less effective than another style. It is more about the quality of the instructor teaching you, and the intent with which you train.

Find a good instructor and train hard, and the rest should take care of itself.

What you will find though is that different styles emphasize different aspects of the training at different levels. For example, at an intermediate level a TSD stylist will be a better striker than a judo or mma stylist, while at the same time the judo or mma stylist will be a better grappler / joint manipulator than the TSD stylist. Things will begin to even out as both styles get higher in rank, but keep in mind that there are vast differences in the first few years of training.

I have to disagree with this statement. There are some styles that are just better. If you take two people of the same athletic ability, time, and instructor some styles are just better.