• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin differences AKKA vs IKO

Mum of Black Belt

Our dojo has just switched from IKO to AKKA (Aust Kyokishin Karate Assoc.)

just wondering what the differences are an why are there two. I have heard people say that the AKKA belts are not recognised by Japan - Is this true

Im having trouble finding a non biased source of information

Can anyone help, we just want what is best group for our son

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's unfortunate, but a fact of life. Big karate organizations always seem to splinter apart into groups that don't speak to each other. If you expect your son to travel and train around the world, including Japan, and have his rank recognized, you might want to stick with IKO. Note that there is more than one IKO orgnization in Japan. AKKA might have established a relationship with one IKO organization as it severed its relationship with another.

In addition to the three IKO organizations headquartered in Japan, several other countries have their own Kyokushin organizations:

Australia- AKKA

UK- IFK

USA- IFKK

In addition to all of these, there are other separate Kyokushin organizations such as Seido Juku, World Oyama, and Kyokushin-kan. As far as I know, the karate taught in all of them is fairly similar and most of them allow members from each other's organizations enter into their tournaments. However, they probably don't recognize each other's belt ranks. I don't think that's such a big deal but if it is to you and/or your son then you might want to find out which Kyokushin-based organization he wants to "stick" with and train only with it. There's a good, Australia-based resource on the Kyokushin world at: http://www.australiankyokushin.com/sitemap.shtml

• 4 weeks later...

prob just means that your club got fed up with paying fees to IKO for affiliation.

Just talk to the head instructor (Shihan) and ask to have this issue cleared up, or for any information about this issue that you feel you need to know.

Good luck,

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• 2 months later...

I think it kinda sucks when you got AKKA and Shihan Taylor using Kyokushin to make money and saying they are teaching the real Kyokushin but they are'nt anymore because they decided to go on their own. So no your right, AKKA is not part of IKO in Japan, and the belts and gradings you used to pay for knowing your money would go to Honbu in Japan now goes into Shihan Taylor's pocket and the certificates are fakes and if your instructor or Shihan goes red in the face trying to say thats not true, there bullshitting

I don't know if he is really smart or really stoopid! Or he just doesn't care about anybody else.

Are we coming to our senses?

Our dojo has just switched from IKO to AKKA (Aust Kyokishin Karate Assoc.)

just wondering what the differences are an why are there two. I have heard people say that the AKKA belts are not recognised by Japan - Is this true

Im having trouble finding a non biased source of information

Can anyone help, we just want what is best group for our son

If you want the best for your son I think decide by the instructor not the group. Your son won't really feel he is being ripped off in AKKA as no one really talks about it anyway (and when they do they are good liars). Get him to a good instructor frst and foremost.

How old is he now?

Krooked

Are we coming to our senses?

• 1 month later...

Officially your belt wouldn't be recognized unless you're a good tournament competitor and that association wants you to join them. Unofficially I know many Kyokushin school that have no problem with someone wearing there black belt.

I know an IKO1 Nidan that switched to IFK so he has no problem with IKO1, 2, 3 black belts crosstraining with him as long as they're willing to train hard. I know an IKO3(matsushima)dojo that is pretty open to crosstraining and even recognizes a student that is a shotokan shodan and allows him to wear his rank.

who has what rank in what association and bickering over it is pretty petty. If someone is a quality black belt it really shouldn't matter, now should it? This is how it used to be years ago, even if you were from another style it was somewhat common to hear about a Goju blackbelt training in a shotokan dojo wearing his black belt and vice versa.