• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most karate styles tie their belt in a square knot. Kung fu practitioners (if theychoose to wear a belt) wear a sash and is generally tied much different. I have even seen some kung fu schools tie differently from each other. I have seen many schools who do not train with a sash, but when competing, wear their sash in accordance to their rank.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

As I know it, korean styles like tae kwon do, tie their belts by wrapping it around, with the hole of the square knot facing to the left. Japanese styles tie it starting in the center, and end with the hole facing to the right.

I could be wrong though...

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Not all japanese styles tie the knot the same way.

For my Kyokushinkai Karate classes we use the classic square knot, for my Aikido classes we use a flatter, almost triangular knot as this wont hurt you when you're rolling/breakfalling.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

There's no conventional way in San Soo, it's just personal preference. I think Japanese styles are a little more uniform as far as knots go.

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

I did not know that there was more than one acceptable way. Now I do. Thank you

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Tying belts or sahses is usually different between styles of MA. Some instructors have a "set" way in which they want the belt tied but sometimes it is just left to personal preference of the student.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!