• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What goes well with my art?

I do shotokan karate and wanted to know what grappling art do you think qould go well with it. I am not planning on starting a grappling art really soon, I am first going to wait until I am at a level that I am comfortable with, then I will start cross training. So I just want to get an early idea.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, that depends.

What are your goals? Do you like the traditional feel of Shotokan? Are you into the sport aspects, or the self-defense aspects of Shotokan?

Personally, I think Judo fits well with traditional karate styles, but I may be a little biased :roll:

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

What are you looking for in a grappling art? Concentration on throws? Judo Concentration on ground grappling? BJJ Concentration on Join Manipulation? JJJ

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

You know, you might want to read C.W. Nicol's Moving Zen. It's a great read that you'll enjoy as you practice shotokan. It's a well-written biographical book about the author's travels to Japan to learn karate and judo. In the end, it seemed that he could not try to learn both at the same time. His instructors encouraged him to pick one or the other, and he found his progress improved considerably.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

You know, you might want to read C.W. Nicol's Moving Zen. It's a great read that you'll enjoy as you practice shotokan. It's a well-written biographical book about the author's travels to Japan to learn karate and judo. In the end, it seemed that he could not try to learn both at the same time. His instructors encouraged him to pick one or the other, and he found his progress improved considerably.
The moral of the story: Be one dimensional?

Not to insult your style's heritage or anything, but to me, that seems crazy.

I guess I could understand, perhaps, from a philisophical standpoint. That's not my department, so I'll let that one go.

But from a self-defense stand point, that's just wrong. If you can't grapple, you will get taken down and pounded. If you can't strike, you will be struck. I ask that no one responds to these statements because they have already been debated at length and I don't wan't to hijack shotokanbeginner's thread.

Anyway, I'd encourage him to study a grappling art (and a striking art).

Here's my 2 cents:

Judo: Great, rough and tumble training methods, good for learning throws and some ground grappling.

BJJ: Like judo, except more emphasis on ground fighting.

JJJ: Not always good training methods, but an exceptional variety of techniques.

Wrestling: Good takedowns, ground control, and training methods.

Submission Grappling: BJJ without the gi and a few less rules (basically)

Hapkido: Mix of striking and JJJ-style grappling techniques.

Combat Hapkido: Mix of striking, aikido, BJJ, JJJ, and a multitude of other arts.

Aikido: Very "soft," merciful style grappling (not to say it is weak, it is deceptively powerful)

Hope that helps.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Nice summary, useoforce. I'd like to add Sombo to that list which is Russia's take on Judo and Juijitsu, as I understand it.

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

Well, that depends.

What are your goals? Do you like the traditional feel of Shotokan? Are you into the sport aspects, or the self-defense aspects of Shotokan?

Personally, I think Judo fits well with traditional karate styles, but I may be a little biased :roll:

I am planning on the traditional and self-defense aspects of shotokan. Yeah Irather like Judo becuase I really like the throws.

The moral of the story: Be one dimensional?

Not to insult your style's heritage or anything, but to me, that seems crazy.

I guess I could understand, perhaps, from a philisophical standpoint. That's not my department, so I'll let that one go.

But from a self-defense stand point, that's just wrong. If you can't grapple, you will get taken down and pounded. If you can't strike, you will be struck. I ask that no one responds to these statements because they have already been debated at length and I don't wan't to hijack shotokanbeginner's thread.

Anyway, I'd encourage him to study a grappling art (and a striking art).

Here's my 2 cents:

Judo: Great, rough and tumble training methods, good for learning throws and some ground grappling.

BJJ: Like judo, except more emphasis on ground fighting.

JJJ: Not always good training methods, but an exceptional variety of techniques.

Wrestling: Good takedowns, ground control, and training methods.

Submission Grappling: BJJ without the gi and a few less rules (basically)

Hapkido: Mix of striking and JJJ-style grappling techniques.

Combat Hapkido: Mix of striking, aikido, BJJ, JJJ, and a multitude of other arts.

Aikido: Very "soft," merciful style grappling (not to say it is weak, it is deceptively powerful)

Hope that helps.

Haha hijack my thread, anyways I completely agree. I plan on trying either jjj judo hapkido or aikido.

Sambo is more than just "Russian judo." It also incorporates a lot of native Russian wrestling. Good luck finding a school, tho...

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

I do Tae Kwon Do and Aikido and I find they work very well together, mainly because they are so different. Also, Tae Kwon Do is Korean and Aikido is Japanese so I learn different languages and they don't get mixed up. Aikido works very well on the self defence part of Tae Kwon Do as well. However, if karate is Japanese you may find that it a little difficult to separate out the terminology but that really depends on the person.