• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate or Ninjustu: A beginner in need of help

I am starting my first martial art and I have narrowed my search down to two places in my area. One is a Shindokai/Shin Shin Mugendo and Shotokan Karate dojo and the other is ninjutsu school. Being a short and stocky guy I was hoping for studying something more fluid and flowing. I have listed the websites so you guys can see the school and tell me what you think about each place. I havevisited both and both seem interesting. The karate place seems more traditional where as I sort of picked up a vibe at the ninjutsu place of being over decorated/advertised in some sorta way...then again that might jsut be me.

Karate: http://www.camarilloshotokan.com/

Ninjutsu: http://www.warriorquestsociety.com/

Thanks for your time and kind consideration. Any response is much appreciated.

"Defeat is not defeat unless it is accepted as reality in your own mind"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why don't you email both schools and ask if you can sit in on a class? Then you can see which has more of what you are looking for.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I did sit in on both. And they both really appealed to me. The gripe I had with the ninjutsu place was the fact that it seemed to commercial in look and appearance, but at least the conetent seemed relatively traditional, or at least from what I can tell. The karate one was awesome too, but then again I am being a bit nit picky about it dealing with competion in some sense

I am looking for an art that uses quick strikes due to the fact that I have more speed then strength. Also as of now I am not to flexible, I mean I can touch my toes and what not like that but I can't kick high or anything like that. I also am not coordinated to do any roundhouse kicks or what not. I want to learn how to do thing circular moves like this in the future, but I don't know what martial art would offer the most fluidity. I guess what you can say is that I am looking for something smooth and flowing. From what I have seen shotokan incorporates strong linear strikes though which is also nice. I have a little bit of a boxing background so besides hooks jabs and all those little goodies, my punching technique is pretty limited. Thank you again for your help and comments.

Sounds to me like Shotokan is more of what you are looking for.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

LFZ, it is really hard to tell how a school would be by just visiting the website. Take a few classes at each school. I would bet they offer trial memberships. I take shotokan and I love it, but we do not have circular movements. Shotokan has powerful and low stances with strong linear punches. A circular art might be a style of Kung fu. Also some Kenpo incorporates circular movement. As for coordination (in regards to a roundhouse kick), nobody can do a decent roundhouse kick the first day they walk into a dojo. It takes time. I bet you will be able to do it with practice. Good luck.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

LFZ, I just looked at the websites. I know I previously stated that you cannot accurately judge a dojo by their website, but I have to say that the instructors at the camarillo dojo have an unbelievable amount of experience and trained with and under some very notable instructors in Shotokan.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.