• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Forum Member (Introverted White/Yellow Belt)

Protagonist

Hello everyone. :)

I apologize in advance if this isn't in the right forum. I didn't know whether or not to write this here, or in the karate section. But, since this section is for beginners and their questions, I felt it should go here. Don't be afraid to tell a newbie if she's wrong. (But don't be so harsh please, I'm quite thin-skinned.) :nod:

To get to the point of this thread, I'm currently a *white-belt in Karate, which is a class I'm taking to get a Physical Education credit for my Freshmen year in Highschool. Overall, I highly enjoy the class and will possibly take it over the summer, and possibly at a public dojo next year since it's a really expensive class to take at school. (One hundred and eighty-nine dollars for the class and thirty for certification I think.)

Even though this class is enjoyable, I can't help feeling a few insecurities. For one, I'm about as introverted as introverted can get. As I've figured out, this class deals with being quite loud, stating the student creed, and shouting kiai(s). This is something I know I will get over with time; doesn't karate also help with self-confidence? And besides I'm getting used to it. (I'm very competitive BTW.)

But, I also have a couple of non-avoidable insecurities and questions. Another insecurity I have is having no previous martial-arts training, and yet 99.9% of students at my dojo, (excluding another *white-belt in the same boat as I) have been doing karate at young ages and have tons of experience. Because of this, I feel that fourteen is too old, since it seems most wise if you begin to develop your skills at a young age.

Secondly, I think I've heard somewhere that karate deals with muscle memory, meaning that I'll possibly need to practice on my own time. The problem is, since I live in Colorado, the weather is too unpredictable and cold [now] for me to practice with a decent mat outside, and the house I live in is government owned; it's decently-sized, but still too small for me to practice katas and whatnot.

My mom suggested that I go down into the basement, I don't mind the basement, but it's currently filled with boxes since we had just moved into government housing and it's cold, since it's not insulated. I can't go to a public dojo because we're tight on money and being the insecure little shy girl I am, seeing five year olds with higher rankings than me is discouraging. So, I was basically wondering if any of you who practice at home can give me a few suggestions. It would be very nice.

**I had just received my yellow belt today, but I still feel like my knowledge and skill in karate is at a white-belt level. I feel (it's not exactly a gut feeling, but something I made myself nag about) that I am not ready for my yellow-belt, but I'm sure sensei gave me my yellow-belt for the right reasons yes. I would ask him, but I'm kind of afraid of the brutal honesty that would come if he told me I had just made it through the belt-testing.

[i also was wondering if running daily and doing push-ups would help me maintain good weight and help me in karate overall. I'm currently five-feet and six and one fourth inches and weigh about 114lbs, and even though it's not like I'm obese or noticeably chubby, I still need something to not make my so-called 'athletic genes' go to waste.] :)

Thank you for reading such a long thread and viewing/responding. I really appreciate it.

:karate:

- Protagonist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello and Welcome!!!! I have lived in apartments all of my martial arts life, and I'll tell you, I've had to get kind of creative :) Sometimes I will practice kata to the point that I can, reajust to a good point in the room, then go back into it. Sometimes I will Just practice the upperbody movements, which I've found gives me more focus on this specifically, and now I do it in the mirror sometime to help me critique myself.

14 is most certainly not too old!!! I did karate from 11-15, then didn't pick any martial arts back up until 19! :) I'm now 23 and learning all the time. Some things I actually beleive I've learned better because I'm older. I'm sure all the other kids in your dojo remember beginning too (we all had to).

Over 5'6" and 114 lbs? Ok, I'm not a nutritionist, but.... IMHO, I think that working out is a great idea. Running will build your endurance and pushups will help build muscle around your arms. Now, 114 at your hight is pretty thin- so I would honestly start a little weight training*, along with increasing my calorie/carbohydrate/protien intake. Now, I know that when I was a 14 year old girl, if someone had told me to eat more calories I would have just stared at them in dismay, but, girls don't have the protective muscle over their bones naturally like guys, so you really may want to think about adding some muscle to prevent injury. To do this, you'll probably need to eat more and work out :)

*If weights or a gym are out of the questions due to money or something, you can do medicine ball work (most of it) with an UNOPENED package of flower (I'd wrap it in plastic wrap first), you can start out with bottles of soda - drink the soda and fill the bottles with sand/ dirt from outside, and that should work for a start (tape shut the top) Once all these become easy for you, look for things that you can use around your house, or just increase your reps. :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

hey there Protagonist! Welcome!

First off, you are not to old to be starting karate! I started when I was 13.

Second off, don't worry that everyone else has had other training. That doesn't matter. What you have to remember is White Belt means novice. At white belt you should know little or nothing. That's okay. Also, one thing that is important to remember about karate, is that though it's strong on team work, it is an individual sport. You have to move at your own pace.

I tell my students this all the time. If you want to get good, you have to practice. And not just in the dojo. I understand your problem of finding space, I think all martial artist have had that problem at one time or another. You can practice outside when the weather is good. You just may not be able to plan is. When it rains where I live, the back yard is wet for a long time..so I just have to do something else. If you have just a small section in the house you can practice punches or blocks without stepping forward. You can also work on your karate movements without moving. (Just the hand movements) Is this the best way of practicing? No, but if it's all you can do, it's better than doing nothing. Then when you go to train you will start seeing that you are getting better and the techniques flow more naturally.

Also, if it's just a small matter of moving some boxes and being cold. Put on an extra layer of cloths and get some mat shoes (or buy a mini heater) and start training! Even if you only pactice for 10 mins a day.

A little bit of practice is way better than no practice.

Working-out is a great way to help your MA. Push-ups, sit-ups are very good. Running will help indurance, and shadow boxing (which helps technique too). Jumprope is great too, and it is also a big help for footwork. There are also a lot of other things you can do too. I would recommend looking at our health section here. It's loads of help.

and congrats on getting your yellow belt! Don't worry if you don't feel like you know everything 100%. At this stage it just getting used to the techniques and knowing them, not mastering them. (but it doesn't hurt to start trying) Remember, getting good at the martial arts takes years. So in just a couple of months your sensi's gonna know your not a master yet. Every time you practice you will get better and more comfortable with the technique.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

Thank you very much for the helpful replies! :)

Over 5'6" and 114 lbs? Ok, I'm not a nutritionist, but.... IMHO, I think that working out is a great idea. Running will build your endurance and pushups will help build muscle around your arms. Now, 114 at your hight is pretty thin- so I would honestly start a little weight training*, along with increasing my calorie/carbohydrate/protien intake. Now, I know that when I was a 14 year old girl, if someone had told me to eat more calories I would have just stared at them in dismay, but, girls don't have the protective muscle over their bones naturally like guys, so you really may want to think about adding some muscle to prevent injury. To do this, you'll probably need to eat more and work out

Well, I actually eat very, very much. I have a huge appetite, but I'm not quite sure how many calories I eat a day. (I usually don't pay attention to this.) But if you're suggesting that I eat more and work out, I'll do that.

I tell my students this all the time. If you want to get good, you have to practice. And not just in the dojo. I understand your problem of finding space, I think all martial artist have had that problem at one time or another. You can practice outside when the weather is good. You just may not be able to plan is. When it rains where I live, the back yard is wet for a long time..so I just have to do something else. If you have just a small section in the house you can practice punches or blocks without stepping forward. You can also work on your karate movements without moving. (Just the hand movements) Is this the best way of practicing? No, but if it's all you can do, it's better than doing nothing. Then when you go to train you will start seeing that you are getting better and the techniques flow more naturally.

Also, if it's just a small matter of moving some boxes and being cold. Put on an extra layer of cloths and get some mat shoes (or buy a mini heater) and start training! Even if you only pactice for 10 mins a day.

A little bit of practice is way better than no practice.

Makes sense. We also have a heater for when it gets cold in the house, so I think practicing in the basement would be fine.

-Protagonist

I have to tell you, Karate is the perfect sport for you right now. It will help build self esteem, self confidence, and self discipline. The more you get into it, the more you are going to want to practice on your own and you will find a way to do it even in an apartment. I too practice upper body kata at home when there is not enough room to move about. If you can, show up to class early and practice with that other student who does not have experience or even better, go up to one of the other students and say " hey could you help me with..." As for just getting your yellow belt and not feeling like you deserved it. You are always going to think that you could do better at something, but don't put yourself down. You were ranked because your instructor thought you were ready. Congratulations. As for your weight, it sounds like you might be quite underweight for your height. Don't get too worried about it. You will build muscle just practicing and taking classes.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I have to tell you, Karate is the perfect sport for you right now. It will help build self esteem, self confidence, and self discipline. The more you get into it, the more you are going to want to practice on your own and you will find a way to do it even in an apartment. I too practice upper body kata at home when there is not enough room to move about. If you can, show up to class early and practice with that other student who does not have experience or even better, go up to one of the other students and say " hey could you help me with..." As for just getting your yellow belt and not feeling like you deserved it. You are always going to think that you could do better at something, but don't put yourself down. You were ranked because your instructor thought you were ready. Congratulations. As for your weight, it sounds like you might be quite underweight for your height. Don't get too worried about it. You will build muscle just practicing and taking classes.

Thank you very much. I might start going to class early, it seems like it could really help. :)

-Protagonist