• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am going for black belt in Apirl - is it too soon?

mountkiscokaratedo

In today's world of comercial karates and dojo's giving out belts like free samples to make as much money as fast as possible it seems karate has lost a bit of integrity. I am not sure if I have been training long enough and deserve it though.

I am a 15 year old brown belt, and I am going for my ranking of blackbelt on April 22. I have been training for ten years. From the age of 6-12 i've trained an hour and a half twice a week and for the two years after about three days a week for an hour and a half and this year i've been training two days a week for an hour and a half of intense training and then an hour and a half before hand (however these are only kadre hours). Although i've been training for a long time I am wondering if the number of over all hours is actually enough.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

eh, to earn your shodan I think 2-3 days a week for how many years you said is enough for most styles of karate.

I know of many schools where you could earn your shodan in a shorter period of time and only training 2-3 days a week.

Now, remember, the shodan is just the first step, nothing more and nothing less.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

I think ten non interrupted years in the same system isn't too short at all. I see alot of schools promoting to shodan in less than half the time.

:karate:

In this life of mine I have seen nothing, known nothing or no one,not even myself or my God,that has not been both hard and soft.

I think that if your instructor feels that you are ready, then you are ready. You will do great. I know after I tested it took me a awhile to feel comfortable at that rank. It is just the beginning of learning for all of us. Good luck on your test and congratulations!!!!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

If your sensei says you're ready, then you are; it sounds to me like you've put in the hours.

I was in the same situation as you just a year and a half ago, and I was wondering if I was old enough. Be prepared for your technique to improve vastly as you get used to your body (we teenagers tend to get klutzy and uncoordinated when we grow), and your maturity (I'll let you know when I get there :P ). I'm sure that I'm still making and will continue to make vast improvement until I'm in my twenties, and, as tons of other people have said, this is just the beginning. We all improve until the day we die (that's largely viewed as an unimprovement).

Good job, and good luck! Make the world proud of teenage black belts!

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

First of all, good luck. Secondly, whatever your instructor says is right.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Good luck! I too think you put in enough time to deserve to go to your test. I agree with the other people who said if your sensei thinks you can test, you can. Also, you will still have to take the test, so in case you are not really ready yet, you won't pass and do it again. Hopefully though, you will pass and then you have proven worthy of wearing your black belt. But it sounds like you have been training long and consistently enough to be ready. So again, good luck! GO FOR IT!

How long you have trained is only part of the equation. There is a huge difference between "having" a black belt and "Being" a black belt. Lots of people "have" the black piece of cloth or silk, but being one is about life long training, and dedication to continuted learning. Thats more than just learning techniques. Learning about people, how they communicate, how you communicate to them and how to difuse tense situation are only a couple of the elements involved.